Monday, September 28, 2020

The Plague - When the Human Race has something to talk about

 Or take with a pinch of salts!


New post, what to write?  I am absolutely shocked that as our young people go to university there halls of residence are being shut down.  An exciting adventure cut short because of a wretched virus.  And a future that looks bleak if people cannot travel at Xmas.  My first instinct is should we all be allowed freedom of movement and take our chances as older people?  But what of the people who will die because the virus is moving freely through society. 

My daily visits to York hospital also showed the vulnerable side of our society as well, those that were ill, those obese and I realise the judgements I make have to be founded on more sensible decisions.  We watch as the argument for freedom not to wear masks, not to kow-tow to the government rages on.  Temporary measures, permanent measures, all have to be taken within the science.

Well this arrives in my email, shortened philosophical essays on the big questions of life, you can find slightly less weightier ones on Woman's Hour ;)  I quite like the tone of this also that Camus life was ended by a meaningless car accident. 





11 comments:

  1. Each day gets even more absurd here in the US! I hope we can make it to November so we can vote out our most absurd prez here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will make no comment on your (hopefully) outgoing president. It is almost like an alien invasion of dictatorships ;)

      Delete
  2. Food for thought as ever in your post Thelma. I don't know what to think any more. Luckily I am fairly self-sufficient so my philosophy is to stay put on the whole, have my groceries and fruit and veg delivered and let the world go by. But even then the thought of another six months of it is a bit daunting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What actually worries me is that I may never see my grandchildren again, because of the restrictions and the need to isolate.

      Delete
  3. I think I'm an existentialist myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you are in good company, but actually I have never seen it recorded on any gravestone....

      Delete
  4. That cloud formation behind the Littlestone and Moss photo looks either very foreboding or very suggestive. Probably both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's the fountain. What a disappointment. I thought you had unwittingly captured aliens for a moment.

      Delete
    2. Don't think you get aliens in London, of course you get them down in Wiltshire, making all those clever crop circles. I have thought of putting up my photo of the four horses of the Apocalypse, but perhaps people don't appreciate a dark sense of humour!

      Delete
  5. I guess we all feel like Sisyphus sometimes. I know I do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well you are always happy and constructive YP, striding across the moors. Sisyphus was an idiot.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!