Saturday, September 12, 2020

Somewhere, in the garden...............

 lives my other hen.  No she was not killed dramatically by any fly by local predator as I had thought.  There I was in the kitchen yesterday afternoon when I saw two bantams, one legging it across the lawn to the run and then having a long feed.  She stopped by for half an hour, sitting on top of the pot which contains an auricula (this annoys me greatly) and then she disappeared again. So....... she is broody again and is now sitting on egg/eggs waiting for a virgin birth under the bushes!

Which leads me to think how cruel we are to our domesticated animals and birds, expecting them to produce milk and lay eggs for our convenience whilst they have to go through the rigours of motherhood only to be brutally relieved of their young - think about it.

There is controversy about the new restrictions over Covid, there is to be a meeting in the pub next week about the village but someone left a message on my phone, so how does the six people meeting together work out.  To be honest I don't know, it definitely won't be all huddled up together in the small bar.  Probably will be in the restaurant with social distancing, though actually the church is a better place for that.  Am I going? very much doubt it.

Just read a funny story on the f/b  group, Some things had been stolen in the village next to us, and someone had seen someone putting things in a white van.  It was the milkman of course on his daily round, and the burglar was then arrested in a blue van, the police apologised.  Such is local news.


4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Normally it is Pat, news is just news, it pays someone's wages ;)

      Delete
  2. I do think about it - the milk eggs thing I mean. I keep to a vegetarian diet and have considered becoming vegan, but I know how much I would miss dairy products. It’s a compromise for sure, but at least animals don’t die - that’s how I justify it anyway. Perhaps I will change my mind. Loved your local news story!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The problem with veganism, is that we make a different choice on the environment that also alters the needs of the economy and not all to the good. Must admit I love my cheese and butter so would find it very hard to keep to a vegan diet as well.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!