Monday, July 19, 2021

19th July 2021

 Making an appearance.  So all those days in the solitary confinement of my home has gone, I moved into society yesterday.

It all started early morning when my daughter read on her phone that all train tickets were booked, we had three trains to catch.  We will just 'fly it' she said and take our chances.  Lovely lad in the taxi took us to Malton and luckily there was a train man on the station handing out tickets from the ticket machine.  As we sat two men appeared, Karen recognised them from Whitby, they were on their way to Leeds to watch the cricket, and everyone caught up on  several years of news.

One thing which was funny, my daughter who is a cacti collector argued that we should take my large cacti in the kitchen and she wrapped it into clothes because of the spines.  Luckily she gave up on bringing it and as I later found out she had bought all the little things from the kitchen sill.  So Japanese butter dish, wooden garlic box and small vases for holding single flowers came and now decorate Matilda's bedroom in which I sleep.  But unfortunately I have left my camera behind.

Hauling our bags and one suitcase up and down bridges and lifts at both York and Leeds were the only problem, seats there were, of course half the seats are empty due to the pandemic but everyone settled quietly in their allotted space.  

I am always intrigued by the people around me and on this particular Sunday it was races of many colours and it was fascinating to see the ticket collector calmly spend minutes with young people who had to pay for their tickets and of course produce appropriate cards, he explained everything patiently.  Apparently the ticket system had gone down but there was no chaos.

I know this calls for grumbles from a certain spectrum of our society but hush it was managed well.

I sleep in a young Matilda's bedroom.  Kate Moss takes pride of place over the fireplace, and the walls are very 'avante garde' with black and white  framed fashion photos.  

Now off to Lidl to shop, haven't been to Lidl for probably 18 months but having hauled all my coffee making stuff now need coffee beans.

8 comments:

  1. So Normanby is behind you and you are now in the bosom of your family. It's good to have a daughter who loves you enough to give you shelter and time to find your own place nearby. A new phase of your life begins - nourished by Lidl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you the best in your adventures - and at lidl too, which is always a mini-adventure of sorts I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you have moved on. Tinged with sadness I am sure - but remember the good times. Onwards and upwards as they say.Very best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  4. As Paul McCartney said: "Lidl Lidl be a gypsy get around ..."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just been to Aldi myself (as we don't have a Lidl in this neck of the woods). You'll notice prices have gone up.

    I'm glad you got your trains just fine and wishing you good luck with your new town life back in "civilization".

    As Pat said, remember the good times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it is sweet that your daughter is so keen to make you comfortable. Enjoy these days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well settled, well done. Enjoy the future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all for the kind comments, it is very true I have a wonderful daughter and I am very proud of her. She has brought up her four children with great understanding and love.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!