Sunday, July 4, 2021

How the day starts!

Filling the kettle for my first cup of tea, I look out of the window and see a red bottom on the nut feeder.  It is of course the woodpecker, and I am pleased to see it there, for a few days ago I found a young fledgling dead on the lawn.  As I sit by the window worrying why my computer is so slow, a thrush comes and hammers another snail to death on the patio.

Eventually my computer picks up speed, probably loaded too many photos I read my emails and then go to F/B.  Now I can see all you high minded people getting your knickers in a twist (okay I woke up in that mood) as to stooping so low as to go on F/B but over the years I have acquired a series of interesting links, ranging from art to politics, and plenty of animals in between.  Did you know for a start that they are going to bring beavers into London, to help clean the rivers and canal.  There is plenty of wet land round London and the first introductions will I think be made in Tottenham.

But then I came across Nicholas Kristof who writes for The New York Times and he had put on a link to the Capitol attack in January.  It was a compilation video of many recordings, not only by the body cams of the police but also of the people who had been in the middle of the maelstrom.  Was it 40 minutes of my life wasted?  Well I seemed to have missed how important it was, our news has definitely not done this terrible event the full justice it deserved.  My heart went out to the police as they were so severely undermanned, slowly more forces were rushed in but definitely lack of coordination spelt a disaster. 

Slightly blanched when I saw the nuclear button bag being carried out in the midst of the melee, if any of those nutters who charged the Capitol had got their hands on it!!!  I can't speak his name, but it rhymes' with Frump but thank God for his hand in getting Biden into power.

Another bit of news from the BBC reminded me of that woman who lived in a shed in Cornwall.  A letter addressed rather comically because the sender did not know the address was delivered to her, glad to see the old Post Office still has human power to deduce puzzles. 

Our post office has closed, I stood in shocked horror outside the empty shop yesterday and must see if it has opened anywhere else, soon we will only be able to get money from the ATM outside the Co-op.

Motto for the day - Do not play scrabble with a computer, they have resource to a million more words (unintelligible ones) than you.

12 comments:

  1. Surprised you made no mention of last night's England game and how you sat in front of the telly in your England shirt waving the little flag of St George that you bought in Whitby - singing "It's coming home! Football's coming home!" Sad to hear about the dead woodpecker fledgling. They are so precious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) As if, chasing balls around on the screen is for me boring, but I will applaud their victory, still a way to go before the final goal though. Always sad about the death rate amongst the young birds this time of the year. Parent blackbirds are always good protectors.

      Delete
  2. Agree about the computer Scrabble! However, I play most days, with games ranging on a 1 -5 scale, and I've learned a lot of new words. I like the fact that it doesn't go in a huff and blast a string of expletives at me (that I know of) when I win against it! (and it's there waiting for those 2.30am times............ )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At 2.30 am I watch videos of cute dogs on my tablet, my brain is not up to fishing words out of it.

      Delete
  3. I'll stick to my Codeword puzzles I think, though I know exactly where the Scrabble bag and board are (which considering the totally bung-it last days before we moved and haphazard storage here, is nothing short of a miracle).

    Another closed PO - no great surprise. The one in Hay-on-Wye is to be shut as well as no-one will take it on. I hope that they put one in the Co-op as the Cashpoint there is now the only place you can draw money out in town. The Co-op is a drive away.

    We have had a young GS Woodpecker brought to our feeders by its parents. Only casualties from nests appear to be a pre-fledged young Sparrow? and then weeks on, a fully grown one with the remains of an elderly House Martin nest where it had obviously spent the night and been zzzzzzzzzing when the nest gave way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finding the scrabble, good luck. I am down to my last minute two boxes, after that it is the dustbin. No more charity shops, or the dump. Just cleaned my car, excellent condition under the mud;) and I shall take it to the garage this week for selling. From then on trains, buses and taxis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't miss my car Thelma - taxi to hairdressers and thats it really. As to Post Office - ours in in our local Co-op - works well (for Co-op too I suspect)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the Whitby Co-op had one, I found our local one on the internet it had moved because the lease had expired.

      Delete
  6. Our post office closed down and is now in the library as the only community hub office in Wales. To be honest, the service is dreadful it's so understaffed (queues out the door) which makes you wonder why it closed in the first place

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many people still rely on the post office of course, it fulfils a bank role and a place to take parcels just two services. I think that the way we are going, cashless society, ordering over the internet will blow up in our faces one day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. During lockdown, when I remained in my home & garden, it became important to have a regular supply of cash in the house, even though I relied on a weekly groceries delivery and online buying. But cash was still necessary - I had a gardener who came twice a month, so cash needed for paying him. Sometimes a friend would pick up items for me when she was in town - cash needed again; the window cleaner; the dog groomer . . . and so on. I hope we don't become an entirely cash-free nation: not everyone has access to the internet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Rambler. We are in the middle of this enormous changeover, when the tap of a card will buy, give you access to trains, etc. Yet there are some like freelance gardeners and window cleaners who want cash payment. But just let the internet fail for a few days and we get into a terrible mess.

      Delete

Love having comments!