Saturday, July 24, 2021

24th July 2021

 Yesterday was retrospective, and I am quite happy to go pottering around in the past.  Living as one did in Wiltshire and then North Somerset, you  had the three great stone circles on your doorstep.  Stonehenge, Avebury and then Stanton Drew circle, which I shall leave for another day.

But on what is now home ground I will write about.  Mostly during the day I am on my own so I talk to the dog Teddy and Alexa, not that I get much back!  Alexa can be a bit of a bitch, not always doing what I ask her to, this morning in response to my request for radio 4 she kept muttering about SW2 radio was unobtainable but eventually complied.  Teddy on the other hand nicked a packet of cereals yesterday and ate the lot.  I am always being warned that most foods will give him an upset stomach but he seems to have survived.

Pottered round the indoor market yesterday, there is an outdoor one as well, three butchers under its roof which I was surprised to see, butchers have become a rarity and a real old ironmongers, do so wish I had not left my camera behind.  Lillie has school holidays from now on and is taking me to the library some time today.

She has been studying the ancestry of her great grandfather, who is called in the family the 'royal bastard', they have narrowed his mother down to a daughter of the nobility but his royalty seems somewhat in dispute!  Anyway a book arrived the other day about a pair of sisters which gives some information.

It reminded me of their great grandmother, who also has some sort of blue blood in her veins and which I came to an abrupt end, when someone from Holland/Austria got in touch and I felt I was stepping into someone else's family.  You can tell ancestry is not my favourite subject..

Apparently the person in question was a cousin and mentioned that the family wealth had come from shipping, it had dribbled down the ages to their granny.. and since quietly disappeared.

Watching people pass out of the window, I saw three genuine hippies walk past yesterday, and also either an Imam or a Jewish Orthodox person.  Such things as you know by now fascinate me, such ignorance on what is what needs a bit of fast learning.  Daughter went for a meal with her best friend last night to a 'gay' pub in Hebden.  I swallow her stories wholesale, she is a font of knowledge on today's modern culture.

Need to study the Unitarian church which I notice dominates the little square nearby,...

Cheering news on Brexit ;(  it is not all down to the 'ping'



another video...

10 comments:

  1. I began reading this post with the intention of having a weekend off from stressing over the depressing and never ending fallout of the inexplicable decision by half of the country who thought it would be a good idea to walk away from the EU without considering even one of the negative implications of doing so. 'There will be no food shortages' was just one of the thousands of lies told to us by people like BJ and Farage. I am going to try and potter around in the world of stone circles that I am surrounded by and just deal with the food shortages as and when the shelves become emptier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to depress you but I am sure Waitrose will work it out. Our Lidl has plenty on the shelves, O dear forgot it's German ;) And there is always the walk up to Stoney Littleton long barrow which is not too far out of Bath.

      Delete
    2. Stoney Littleton doesn't have a Lidl.

      Delete
  2. This hot weather has had me delving into Keith's Manx family history - you wouldn't believe the density of records on line from 1500s onwards. Currently deep into Wills and trying to connect to the "wrong" parish - since I got only 4 clues passed down from K's dad (who died before we got together properly) I am trying to cover another likely base - the names are right - just need another generation to be certain. I am "meeting" some incredible characters and folk history along the way.

    Our local Co-ops in the town don't have empty shelves, but I had to go into Tesco whilst we were in Llandod this morning, and the bottled water section was empty. Can't people just use a bottle of "Corporation Pop" from the tap back home?

    Glad your new home has some interesting facets and people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any island history is fascinating of course Jennie, so many books written on island life. I think the shortages will not be as terrible as Tom is envisaging, the food just a little plainer. Baked potatoes anyone?
      Bottled water should be banished alone on the rubbish it leaves behind.

      Delete
  3. What a depressing picture you paint Thelma and must say I agree that the situation is awful - I have never in my younger days felt like buryiing my head in the sand bt now have my bucket and spade at the ready.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is not that worrying Pat, just a system failure, everything will all come right in the end. The food is there just delays in delivering it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Brexit lies upset me so much that I have determined not to write about them - just raises my blood pressure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well so many people fell down the rabbit hole of thinking it would be different, not realising they had been conned.

      Delete

Love having comments!