Sunday, July 17, 2022

17th july 2022




In our cool valley, the heat is yet to come.  Early morning it is always dull.  this morning I took a photo of the zinging colour of the nasturtiums, and captured a photo that made me happy, the large bottom of a bee inside one of the flowers.  My gardening efforts in this small backyard are beginning to take over.  How do I like flowers, untidy would be my answer.  Giving the insects a feast to probe round.  A tiny jewelled beetle or a bumblebee resting will tell me the balance is right.  Colours yes, but also the soft grey/green of sage leaves, the blue of the hyssop plant, and the shimmering bronze colour of the fennel.

I forgot to listen to the last zoom programme of the Northern hustings last night but remembered at the last minute to get an hour in.  Many of the same faces were vying for these places, Molly Scott Cato was there and I remembered the video of her in the EU chamber when she was an MEP and her put down of the obviously conservative male.......  Politics, the  drudge of campaigning would put most people off but I would say it is the planning of strategies and hustling for a place at the table would be the most off putting.

I see down below in the link that one conservative is sticking to his convictions and promises to stick to the net zero pledge he made.

My granddaughter is off tomorrow for a fortnight with the scouts, luckily they are going North to Northumbria but even so it will be hot in the van.  As parts of Europe burn under intense heat, luckily our relationship with the sea protects us somewhat but even so will not one of those running for office put this crisis at the front of their inane promises...


Climate chief Alok Sharma warns: I may quit if new PM dumps net zero pledge

11 comments:

  1. Our nasturtiums self-seed every year, even though they are not supposed to be hardy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also you can make something similar to capers from the seed of the plant, just as they are going green you pickle them.

      Delete
  2. I echo you and Tasker - once nastturtiums always nasturtiums - same goes for snapdragons - yellow ones and red ones and this year pinky orange one s- a mixture of the two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I suppose all of the 'basic' plants self-seed, just like their wild cousins Pat.

      Delete
  3. So Alok Sharma will resign if the new PM ditches Net Zero - good riddance is what I would say (although these threats/promises to resign never seem to materialize in practice). Just take a few more of the idiots like Deben with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well actually after that shindig, was it PMQs on Wednesday. If I had been the Speaker I would have thrown the whole ruddy lot out.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Just found another 'Hand' RTE video Joanne, Dublin Weavers. Will put it on tomorrow.

      Delete
  5. Your nasturtiums are looking lovely. I grew some from seed this year, and they did well for a while but then went yellow and became covered with blackfly so they were thrown out a week ago! I shan't bother again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS. I wish I was still in Northumberland....lucky granddaughter.....it must be cooler there than here near Luton, where it is predicted to be the hottest place ever today! ( 5 miles from here) We were living in Morpeth in 1976 when the last big heatwave hit and I don't really remember it being hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has always been an out of the way sort of place Frances, but my daughter went up and really enjoyed it there. Maybe with the threat of more hot weather it will become popular. Keep cool, this old Victorian terrace is North facing so keeps cool...Especially in winter! As far as Lillie was concerned with the most enormous knapsack on her back and rucksack in front (two weeks of clothes) she was worried about the hot coach.

      Delete

Love having comments!