Saturday, July 23, 2022

23rd July 2022

 

Lincolnshire

Edge of England - Landfall in Licolnshire by Derek Turner; 

"Though less than a hundred miles from London, it was as though Lincolnshire had been cut off from the national consciousness, “a large, and largely blank, space, almost islanded by cold sea, great estuaries, soggy wastes, and a filigree of fenny waterways”. It was, Turner concluded, “somewhere people came from, not escaped to”.  Guardian Review

One of the lesser counties of England, it is flat and grows an awful lot of our food, is my only memory of it, except one more perhaps,  a road that had sunk spaced evenly over a great distance forming small hills and dips.  Probably created by heavy duty farming machinery on the marshy ground.  Also Pat loves it ;)

But that aside, and when we went in 2010, it could have been because it was bitterly cold, and the Travel Lodge a bit under the weather, and we couldn't find anywhere to eat.


13 comments:

  1. F loves Lincolnshire but it seems the few from outside it shate that, and even many within its bounds don't have much good to say about it. Mr B's daughter's grew up there, 2 stayed, one will NEVER go back. Strange that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Driving through the Fens several years ago when we went to pick up a caravan, I was surprised how beautiful it was. Otherwise my Lincolnshire experience was a few days in Lincoln and a wet week camping at Sutton on Sea!
    I'm sure there are other good places though. I'd like to go to the village with the 1940's weekend and more of the coast apart from Skegness

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I live in lincolnshire, on the border with norfolk. I absolutely love it. The views are breathtakingly beautifull. A plentiful supply of fresh fruit and veg on your doorstep.and a sunny climate. Just some of the reasons I retired here. Tish

    ReplyDelete
  4. I come from Lincolnshire and although I have been left for many years I think of it as Home still.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm from the other side of the ocean. My knowledge of Lincolnshire comes from reading and all I have read makes it fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for coming to the defence of Lincolnshire, it shows that just another part of Britain with its varied landscape is as beautiful as the rest. In fact the totally different landscapes we find in this country promises a thousand delights. So I stand reprimanded for a short visit there.....;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lincolnshire is a big county with much subtle variety. The LIncolnshire Wolds offer some lovely country walks and there are many fascinating village churches. Like The Weaver of Grass, my wife is a Lincolnshire lass and I know the county pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well YP if I ever get the chance to go there and explore I will take it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is a comment from me as anonymous above (t)he one about coming from there and still thinking about if as home) but as to pretty villages Tennyson the poet came from the Lincolnshire Wolds (I think Somersby in the Wolds) and I also remember a village of thatched coltages called Thimbleby. WEAVER.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Pat, yes I knew you came from Lincoln, it is an unknown county to me though we did go to Norfolk and Suffolk on days out. It really is wretched that blogger now uses 'anonymous' for many of us so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. Almost sounds like a song Debby, but I am sure you will enjoy the visit.

      Delete

Love having comments!