Sunday, August 21, 2022

21st August 2022

20th August 2022.  Well in diary mode, the day of Karen's birthday.  Lillie baked the cake yesterday, and then her mother wanted a breakfast of pancakes, blueberries and bacon.  This at 5.30 am of course this morning because of the railway strike.  Karen's normal journey into Manchester is a train trip at 8.0.clock, but there is a train strike.  Which meant bus into Rochdale and then catch the tram to Manchester.

We discussed in my bedroom what to have as a takeaway tonight, not much choice, we don't live in America, so it was either curry or chicken/chips.  Cards were opened.  My present is always money, Matilda's card had on the front  something like 'The classiest bitch out'.  This because Karen is always dressed to the nines and surpisingly enough she is not bitchy but more of a surrogate mother to the students that volunteer at her shop.  She is good at her job makes several hundreds a day because she knows the price of things and has a keen eye for fashion labels.

Fashion goes over my head of course, watch the girls giggle at 'Cotton Traders', Ellie had the account at one stage in her PR job! But I reckon we should all dress like the Chinese used to do, in a similar uniform. ;)

Matilda who lives in London studying at Uni to be a fashion journalist, has by some miracle managed to find a flat for four of them, found herself a part-time job and an internship.  So all worries over there, though why interns aren't paid puzzles me.  Ben is styling for some famous girl songstress, who's name escapes me.  So by and by everyone of my grandchildren are either working or studying, so one could almost say - so what is wrong with Britain ;) ;) 

Books listened to at the moment, well I still have 'The Inklings' to finish.  A Phil Rickman for light relief and in my library Germaine Greer 'The Female Eunuch'.  Something I have never read.  I think her appearance always put me off Germaine and her behaviour, which let us say, was way over the top.

But like all of us that got older over the last  decades, we have had to adjust to this new world of a sexual revolution, or quite a few ways of describing your gender.  Feminism has become 'old hat' I think, it is just about arguing for the equality of pay etc and the realisation that ground gained is occasionally lost.

*********************************************************

Today is Sunday.  The geese have already flown over on their way to the canal and last night I heard an owl hooting, so fragments of nature still remain. There is rather a cool article about tourism.  The photographer goes to particularly touristic places takes quites a few photos and then collages them altogether, showing crowded places, when all these people just want to photograph self images alone in a vast natural world.

Last night after the feast we watched 'Absolutely Fabulous' film, not as funny as it could be and we all retired early before the film finished.  There is so much to choose from on the television, especially if there is more than one person in the room, then hours are spent scrolling through the various offerings.  The only thing I watch is the new 'Shetland'.  Plot is good and of course the remote scenery a joy to the eye.  But of course these Scottish islands will become touristic spots, ready for the quick browse tourists off the great cruise ships which dwarf the small harbours of the islands.  

I managed to work out my phone video, and took the moment of the cake coming into the sitting room and.......... even managed to shunt the video onto the family App place, which is one more step to understanding how to upload stuff...

8.15 and my daughter has just dropped into the bedroom says Andrew and herself are going up to Gaddings Dam, Andrew to do a bit of wild swimming... Perhaps I should have taken a bet on that! or should have told them that if the cows are on the beach with their young be careful.

Years ago I watched a cow with a young calf at foot chase a man and his two dogs.  Luckily they escaped, but my Moss would never walk through the field and would always take a much longer route to miss the cows and join me later.  You can't beat a collie for brains...

12 comments:

  1. You sound so calm and serene. How do you manage that. I’m in similar situation to you so aware of all that happens in family, good and bad, it worries me sometimes as nothing I can do to help money wise. It’s going to be a rough ride for young families this winter, whatever have they done to deserve this. Sarah Browne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I don't think I am calm Sarah but I do take things lightly. I think there is only so much one can do for one's family. Their future is for them to make, we can only offer support and love along the way.

      Delete
  2. Well done your family on all having work/study/made opportunities to advance their careers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have all started part time working from about 15 years onward Tigger and seem to enjoy it, dovetailing into uni along the way. As the single maternal grand parent I worry of course but they seem confident and eager to face their future. Though of course we are castigated for leaving a rotten world to inherit ;)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you are in a happy, busy household and it is nice that you are there to support, encourage, and love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Ellen when I left the Normanby house, stripping myself of all but the basic that I needed it has been a much more happier time with my family.

      Delete
  4. Lovely long read Thelma - all sounds right with your world at the moment. Enjoy. It won't be long before they are all back in the Houses of Parliament and all the rave and arguments start again. Let's enjoy it while it lasts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well amongst my daughter's presents were three mugs from Andrew "f**k the Tories" so I suppose in this household they will not be listening to anything coming from the government.... I phoned my son and he is going back and forth from the Isle of Man on a new short job and he seemed happy enough. So the balance of my life is tranquil at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fairly recently I realized I've never read Greer, so downloaded Female Eunich to my player, in the last batch of loom listening. Haven't got to it yet. My player hold titles in alphabetical order, and that includes "The".

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are well behind the times on Greer Joanne, but like all history her book will be interesting to listen to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never read The Female Eunuch and had always considered Germaine Greer to be a loud-mouthed reactionary, making me instinctively turn away/turn off the TV. Then, when I was going through menopause, I discovered her book on the same subject and realised she was a highly intelligent, instinctive, sensible writer and I started listening to what she was actually saying. I found I agreed with much of her sentiments and admired her ability to put her money where her mouth was, especially in her decision to wear mourning in relation to the wars being fought at that time. If you find The Female Eunuch too much like name-dropping for the sake of it, try her Menopause book, it makes you think.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the review Sarah, obviously she had the same effect on many of us. So I will eventually listen to her book and if 'Menopause' is on Audible will listen to that to.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!