Friday, August 26, 2022

Survival of the fittest - sod that

Yesterday has been and gone, though a parcel from Amazon arrived, not unusual in this household.  It was an electric blanket for wearing, a deep midnight blue with white attached soft velour.  My dear daughter had heard me complain about being cold when spinning and had ordered it for me.  I haven't tried it yet but what a thoughtful gift.

So here we are, energy bills set to go through the roof and an airhead trying to be our next leader.  Somehow I am reminded of Canute trying to stop the force of the sea, but this brainless creature, only intent on her own grandissement in the play of governing this country.  Sounds familar doesn't it?

How are we to get from this to a reasonable answer of not pushing more people into poverty and homelessness this winter?  The balance for gain and favour in the right wing Tory led faction of this country has tipped the balance and luckily more people are beginning to notice the gross inequalities that exist. 

I can hear the back of the class shouting 'the poor have always been with us',  maybe so, but forcing people out on the streets who are in work and not earning enough money to pay the mortgage, food and heating bills, that threatens the human rights of the people in question.

Change political parties? maybe not, though  our government is old hat, based on two warring sides.  I did flirt with the Co-operative Party but I have to stop my debit payments to the Green Party.  Not as easy as it sounds.

There are the 'heroes' of the hour turning up.  Mike Lynch, Gordon Brown and Martin Lewis shouting the odds.  Strikes will be used as punishment and I have no problem with that but then I am retired ;)

We are really in a black hole at the moment in this country with no sensible leader at the helm..........................



9 comments:

  1. You have more or less said what I think Thelma. Where will it all end?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The energy figures that are coming out are appalling Pat, I am not sure what is going to happen, except strikes of course.

      Delete
  2. My thoughts coincide with Pat's and yours as well. Even on a low income of SRP pensions we will manage but I feel so helpless watching young working families struggling. I like to think people are waking up to this disastrous, incompetent self seeking government and pray that Labour gets it act together. On a more positive and cheerful note my daughter has managed to take her disabled Dad to the Fitzwilliam Museum in Cambridge to see the David Hockney exhibition today. I'm off to meet the train now. Quite an achievement for a lass with OCD and a frail father.
    Will you be plugged into the mains with your blanket!! Jan Bx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes the same thought struck me, what happens when the electricity gets cut! Luckily I don't have a cat to pee on me either. I don't know if it is the same David Hockney exhibition that we saw a few weeks ago Jan but I am sure they both enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These electricity and gas price issues have been a long time coming, it is not just the current bunch of clueless wallies. Why didn't Blair get a replacement nuclear power plant programme going 15 years ago - we would be reaping the benefits now of that secure electricity even at night when the wind doesn't blow.
    The US has shown what fracking can do to increase home-grown supplies of gas at low prices - why have successive governments been so squeamish about this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While fracking has increased production, there are many environmental downsides to it. Polluted groundwater at a time when, out west, lakes are drying up is not to be overlooked. There are plenty of examples of green energy, and we are seeing countries reaping the benefits of that now. Why can't we follow their example? And before you discount me will, allow me to say that my husband's family has made a fortune in the oil business. I know what I am talking about.

      Delete
    2. Well Will you know I am going to side with Debby on this one. Fracking in a small country is not on, the Blackpool tremor highlighted that. The thought of our water being contaminated also, bad enough the sewage outfalls we are experiencing at the moment through our rivers. The truth is probably we shall have shutdowns of electricity over winter, which will not be welcome but as you say it is all down to bad government that the question of energy needs have not been met over the years. Putin has us just where he wants, burning gas with glee as he revels in Europe's discomfort.

      Delete
  5. It's very worrying and dispiriting. I am not a political animal at all, but whatever happened to politicians with integrity, who were there to help the people they represent?

    I've been thinking about investing in one of those wearable electric blankets for Keith, as he really feels the cold, but of course he says he doesn't need it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well be of an optimistic nature Jennie, I think there is still a few good men/women around. Government is there for the people and not for helping themselves from the cookie jar. Tell Keith that the blanket is very good but try not to trip over it, or at least the electric cable and you are not allowed cats on your lap ;)

      Delete

Love having comments!