Wednesday, August 3, 2022

3rd August 2022

All change, or at least the planning for the future.  My daughters house has a lot of stuff, especially furniture some of it has to go.  She bought whilst in Whitby a lot of Romanian antique furniture, which is heavy and decorated with carvings.  But for me the sad part is emptying Matilda's stuff, but she has flown the nest to London and important things are kept.  A builder is coming tonight, to suss out what needs to be done to the house, for instance shelving in the basement out of the way of flooding when it happens.

The weather is slowly warming and I see there is another hot spell predicted.  I walked along the canal this morning, seeing what was coming out, the Evening Primrose, hangs its yellow floppy flowers down and the Oxe Daisy is over, succeeded by ragwort I think.  The geese sit placidly on the water, someone with their little boy in tow is feeding them, and there seems to be a gannet on the towpath.

Went to the Organic shop and spent more than I should.  The Polish baker was just bringing his sourdough bread in, so I was persuaded to buy by the assistant, and I have just eaten some of the olive bread with my coffee and it was delicious.  Proper apples on display, though whether they are English or not they seem a bit early, but not wrapped and shone to perfection in plastic from the supermarket a welcome relief. 

Olives in bread reminded me of the organic shop in Bath at the top of Walcot street, it was called 'Harvest' and was there for a very long time.  Also bought some nutritional yeast just to see what it tastes like and why vegans rage over it.

Stopped off at the library, not to get books but just to mooch, looked at the Collared Bronze Age pots from Blackheath Barrow.  There is a little 'incense cup' skulking in the corner, called this because it is seen as something similar to what the Catholic church waves round you in service.  The explanation here though was that it was the carrier of sacred fire.

Waiting for some more fleece to spin, this time a dyed dark mulberry red and some natural black Welsh and also Moorit (which is a beigy brown).  I have decided to go geometrical, and tackle intarsia knitting, should be an interesting experiment.

8 comments:

  1. Furniture is my weakness as well. If ever I was to begin something new at my age, it would be a second hand furniture store, featuring second hand furniture, upcycles. You can pick up furniture for practically nothing at yard sales. Most working people don't have the time to go from place to place. I would love to gather it up and offer it to people at a good price. Everyone deserves a pretty home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a kind thought Debby. We don't really have garage sales here, I gave most of my furniture away when I moved. People were so happy with my two desks that it was a pleasure to give them away and not count the cost. I still wish I kept a couple of things, but it is a bit like books I have given away, they sort of live in the memory for a long time;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mention of nutritional yeast put me in mind of some kind of yeast (possibly brewers as it was flakey) that we used to spoon into a glass of water at night, along with a pinch of sugar to feed it, and leave on the coolest corner of the coal range. In the morning it was foaming and we would stir it up and drink it. Strange things I suddenly recall from childhood. I've no idea what that was supposed to do for us... healthy gut perhaps??.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I went and looked it up, I had bought because it was supposed to taste cheesy but it doesn't to my palate. And it doesn't foam because it isn't alive like ordinary yeast. Basically it is another 'umami' taste with some vitamins that are apparently lacking in the vegan diet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you start Intarsia knitting of sweaters and decide to knit and sell do let me have first look - I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always the modern look Pat in your fashion style.

      Delete
  6. Don't be put off by intarsia; it's all garter stitch, and will be so lovely in different wool colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm starting off with rather dull colours, maybe a blanket Joanne. We shall need them this coming winter!

      Delete

Love having comments!