Friday, January 13, 2023

13th and a Friday - be careful

But now 'tis Winter, child,
And bitter north winds blow,
The ways are wet and wild,
The land is laid in snow.

Taken from Robert Bridges - The Idle Flowers




Almost getting lazy, though each day I do virtual jigsaws and Wordle of course.  I have listened to Peter May' s 'Lewis' trilogy as I spin.  Must not listen to any more of his books, because I know the way his plotlines work.

It's wilderness charm of bleak crofts and Machair grass is beginning to wear off and the last book in the trilogy was a rather bleak look at the romantic life of the protagonist which got rather boring.  Sometimes one wonders whether the author's personal narrative wandered into the fiction.
 
The Ruralists 1976ish


I see I have 'The Brotherhood of Ruralists' noted for a blog.  I have written here of them some years ago.  They lived and worked in Wellow, well I can't think they all lived in the old redundant Station House.  But Wellow is a pretty village, buried somewhat in the countryside a few miles outside of Bath.
I think my question at the time was why did they not paint the marvellous Neolithic long barrow called Stoney Littleton, not the outside, for that is just a rather  lump on the surface but inside with its beautiful stones, some impregnated with fossils.  Outside of course the great fossil at the entrance.  What did those fossils signify I wonder?

I welcomed the wild flowers that grew on this grassy barrow, marooned amongst fields of 'weedless' wheat, and the tranquility of the open countryside down an old farm track that had once linked two villages together.

Odd fragments of history captured everywhere, in the village an old manor house and newish church, outside the village a prehistoric tomb, faced on the other side of the valley by a Roman villa, each noted in its own right.

6 comments:

  1. Have never heard of The Ruralists Thelma - shall go away and look them up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think the brotherhood became very famous Pat, just a grouping of painters, jokingly imitating The Pre-Raphaelites.

      Delete
  2. I wonder what the Ruralists are doing now (or even if they are still alive?) I think of the 70s as quite recent, but of course, it's 50 years ago!! Liked the painting of the avenue at Avebury .

    ReplyDelete
  3. One entered the news a few years back for past offences and all his paintings were taken down in disgrace. I find their work not terribly exciting. But thinking of the stone avenue at Avebury. There is the theory that the paired stones are male and female. The 'pointed' stone being part of the story. Which led me on to the 'pointed stone in the icy corner' in Corwen. It is a striking stone and comes from Elizabeth Rees book, which I hope I still have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew Peter Blake and Jan Howarth when they were around here. The Brotherhood became sullied with unsavoury rumours during their time in Wellow, mainly due to one particular member I think. I always thought it was a bit pretentious to form a 19th century style artists group. It was asking for trouble. Oh, I have just read the above comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So that was the two who made The Beatles - Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band cover. Looking at Jan Howarth I can see she must have been one of the two dark haired women in the photo. Small world Tom ;)

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!