Monday, January 16, 2023

16th January 2023 - Nettleton Shrub and lectures

 All is doom and gloom in the news and in some blogs.  War rages on one side, economic gloom on the other and it is winter.  The weather is cold here starting at 2 degrees this morning and travelling downward during the day. But the Aga man is coming at 9 to put the new 'whatever' into our white elephant to make it work.  We are in a situation at the moment, when, there is plenty of credit in the energy bill and a fixed contract, so the Aga can be allowed a few days of work!

Yesterday I listened to Ronald Hutton on 'Paganism in Roman Britain' a subject close to my heart, especially on the subject of Bath and to learn that his favourite place was the temple at Nettleton Shrub.  It brought back memories of walking with Moss in the quiet sanctuary of the valley, following the river and rejoicing in the protected wild plants.

There is also a lecture of 'Gods of Prehistoric Britain.  Professor Hutton is a gentle humorous man who knows his subject well so the lectures were pleasing and informative.  I had seen him in Avebury when the pagans met for ceremony, wandering amongst them with a quiet smile on his lips.  I note on Audible that his latest book 'Witches' has been recorded, though nothing could beat his 'Mistletoe and Blood'.  He has that logical frame of reasoning mind that says we don't know anything of what it is like in past history, we can only surmise and quantify from the facts - how it may have been.

Also learning as I tried to knit a mitten that my industrious knitting nature is coming under the threat of not being able to see properly what I am doing. I solved the problem of trying to knit with four needles at once for  knitting in a circle by scraping that plan and knitting in the straight and then sewing up.


Nails of Gold, or Kingcups

The Roman Temple of Nettleton Shrub






15 comments:

  1. Thank you for the YouTube video recommendation. I've just watched the first few minutes and shall return to it later this morning; I enjoy Prof Hutton's style of delivery and will be interested to hear what he has to say, if only I can stop myself from wondering what on earth he's done with his collar and tie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose he likes to cultivate an air of 'foppishness' John. Which we should allow him of course, the eccentric professor amongst the new pagans.

      Delete
  2. Reading the two comments above does make me think about this 'air of foppishness' business. The trouble is these days when foppisjness creeps in with characters who have not shown it before it does tend to detract when one is trying to concentrate on what they are saying - rather like sudden appearance of a beard which has become almost compulsory these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fashion is for the young Pat, but the old should also play act as well, just ask Dorothy Parker. One thing I notice (males turn away for the moment) is that men become increasingly bald from an early age, Not like in the olden days when great manes of hair was worn ;)

      Delete
  3. Years ago I asked the I Ching about the Great Pyramid (those were the days...). It came up with 'Endurance'. Quite apt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the top of Great Pyramid the other day, a drone probably, it was a small untidy square of stones, not workmanlike at all.

      Delete
    2. I have seen those pictures. If you know what you are looking at (no offence intended) they are remarkably and accurately well made. Bear in mind that the stones you see today were just the core of the structure. The whole lot was clad in white limestone which was removed to build the Great Mosque in Cairo some time ago. I have been there and the scale is absolutely mind-boggling. There is more stone in that one structure than all the religious buildings of Europe put together.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for putting me straight Tom. I know little of Egyptian history and as you say the pyramids are a great building work. Though of course they followed a simple line, the religious buildings of Europe with their fan vaulted roofs are beautiful.

      Delete
    4. That pyramid was an observatory - possibly the first ever. The simple lines are accurate to within about an eighth of an inch over a quarter of a mile when measuring the seasonal tilt of the earth on its axis. Fan vaulting was mere virtuosity.

      Delete
  4. I don't have an hour to spare right this minute, but I have enjoyed the lead in. I will come back to this in the evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry Debby, the lecture just suddenly turned up in my Youtube feed. By now you must have cottoned on I love history!

      Delete
  5. To be honest I haven't read any news websites this year yet. It wasn't a deliberate decision, but I have reached saturation point with it all. I usually catch a glimpse of Ronald Hutton every year when I dance at the Tewkesbury Medieval Festival. He's an important part of the proceedings. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is the recorder of all you hold dear Aril, a historian that records the new rites that unfold from the old customs.

      Delete
  6. Knitting is so like history, is it not. Observation and thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Joanne, and of course it has its own history. In countries like America, Canada and New Zealand there is an entrepreneurial aspect to it as they create the yarns and young designers create the patterns. It is slowly evolving to a modern day craft.

      Delete

Love having comments!