Wednesday, January 25, 2023

'Have a lovely day'

 'Have a lovely day' is something my daughter always says as she goes out of the door in the morning.  I pondered on it this morning, some food shopping, knitting and spinning and cooking a meal tonight.  Then I came across the following poem by Mary Oliver this morning.



Well the bees are not out in the garden yet, but quietness is a healing balm to the soul.  I come across Mary Oliver poems  a lot, she must be flavour of the month.

A new book by Peter May - A Winter Grave appears in my email, should I should I not spend some money on Audible to get it?  Yesterday I found 'Vera' on ITV and watched a two hour episode whilst I spun.

Enough entertainment to fill up the day already, so I must get dressed and start!

Edit; It is Burn's night today, how do I know? Because our organic food shop is doing a vegan haggis but can there be such a thing as a vegan haggis? Also someone is murdering  'Green Grows the Rushes' on the radio!


Edit: I just could not resist this photo, which will be briefly shown as I have pinched it.  In China it is the year of the rabbit, but what about a rabbit dressed up for Burns night.  And to top it all I got my calendar fr this morning from Ireland, in the Irish language! 




12 comments:

  1. Love the MaryOliver Thelma. Don't know how you feel but one of the plusses to living alone is the silence which I find good for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes silence is good, makes you stop and just stand and do nothing Pat.

      Delete
  2. It's snowy here today so I won't be going anywhere which is fine with me. I have a book that I am enjoying and can talk myself into a quiet, reading day very easily!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The joys of retirement Ellen, the time you are free of all the 'must do' things in life, it doesn't really matter. The weather has at last warmed up here, colder down South-East than it is here.

      Delete
  3. I'm having that kind of lovely day myself - a little reading, a little cooking and more cups of tea than I can count. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tea keeps you going John doing nothing! Since we had the Aga mended I can put casseroles in the oven to slow cook, tonight a butter bean stew.

      Delete
  4. I saw a bee outside yesterday. I think he may have regretted leaving the hive in January.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should have rescued him! but hopefully he will manage to find his way back to the hive.

      Delete
  5. I had to smile at the rabbit. Enjoy the Aga. I miss our Hergom, which was the heart of the house, and the woodburner gave warmth and pleasure on cold winter days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are going to enjoy the Aga Jennie, my daughter did a couple of readings last week and it was not too bad, so it is on to April. It's warmth will be appreciated on cold mornings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder if that bunny can dance a Highland fling over crossed swords?
    I think Mary Oliver was right to suggest that we sometimes need quiet, reflective days when nothing of note is achieved so that when a family member asks, "What have you done today?" we can unashamedly say. "Nothing".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know if the rabbit but we used to do it, not sure it was swords though. Today I did nothing but rest my aching head ;)

      Delete

Love having comments!