Monday, January 30, 2023

30th January 2023

Well I missed the news yesterday but really have nothing to say on the sacking of a person ready to perjure himself on non-existent tax paying.

That was the first sentence of this morning, then a migraine set in.  I hadn't had one for a very long time, and it settled with its usual wearisome headache, forcing my eyes shut.  I do think that as you get older you should be spared migraines, but not so it seems.  Well it is retreating as I said it would around three, think it has something to do with the universe, but I may be wrong!

Yesterday we went a walk, up to the ridge line of the woods, and I learnt sadly, that I am at last beginning to battle against my age.  Hills I can cope at a gentle walk, but the steps of various heights was more than I could tackle.  Andrew, who is a complete gentleman, gave me his arm up the steps and a gentle push now and then, but it was a bit of a shock to my pride.

But though I did not see many birds, I saw the biggest, a solitary heron under the bridge.  Apparently he/she has been living there for a few years and is used to people crossing the bridge and looking down on him.  Such extraordinary creatures, thin and ragged.

It was a mizzly day

Coming to acceptance of my age (79) has been hard, but I am still fairly healthy, probably due to being hardworking when younger.  Walking on the flat is probably the best for me now but I am lucky that I did a lot of travelling and seeing the countryside I love so much, so no regrets.

This blog here -Intake shows the countryside round here, and if you want to skip the writing do, but you will lose a lyrical hymn of Paul Knight's excellent recording of the landscape round Hebden Bridge.  He journeys with his young son over the moors and through the woods down onto the school run. 

There is a strong difference between the narrow valleys and the large open moors with their farms dotted around.  There are quite a few ruined farms that stand alone on the moors, and it seems that once 'Happy Valleys' is finished they may show 'Gallows Pole' of the life round here when once a man declared himself King of the area in the 17th century, should be interesting though it has a horrible bit in which I shall not want to watch.  Here is a short history on the 'coin clippers'


'King Hartley'













 

2 comments:

  1. Keep moving as much as you can, Thelma. When I can't get out for a walk, I will ride on my Exercycle singing along to the music of my younger days! Glad your migraine cleared up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate migraines they always leave you washed out for a couple of days but it seems to have vanished Ellen. Don't like the cold weather at the moment for walking, though it is easier on my own not being such a brisk walker as everyone else.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!