Saturday, March 25, 2023

25th March 2023

Tales of banks folding, money is at risk, people panicking! Don't.  Those millions you have in the bank are worthless any way, remember 'the eye of the needle' parable.  It will all go away eventually, either you snuff it, or the world rolls round once more, shakes itself free and we start again.

Bad news over. Neil of Yorkshire Pudding fame started wandering round the areas in which he lives/has lived taken by drone camera by others, and asked his readers to do the same. So I pottered around on the internet and decided the best one for this area is the one at the bottom of the page.  I am going to do Hebden Bridge later because it is probably prettier.

Though here I must recommend Paul Knight's blog 'Landscape Story' for an interpretation of the nature and social history of his landscape, as he notes the first returning birds the complicated water patterns laid by human hand to industrialise this valley.

The other thing I notice from the drone photography, is in a narrow valley houses are built in rigid lines with no gardens. Houses for the mill workers but that a lot of the flat ground in Todmorden is covered by recreational areas such as Centre Park.  This large part of Todmorden was given to the town by one of its worthies - John Fielden I think, and the grounds were once part of his gardens.

 

There is also drone footage of Todmorden Unitarian Church set in a snowy landscape with captures its bleakness and built by John  Fielden's three sons.  I blogged back here about the church, from ground level it is rather grim, especially the overgrown cemetery further up the hill.






8 comments:

  1. You live in a very beautiful place. It has a lot more 'village' to it than I expected though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby I think it is just a small town, the only expansion has to be along the three single main roads that go through.

      Delete
  2. I wrote a blog which mentioned East Witton Fell, which I see from my sitting room window and someone in America pointed me in the direction of a drone 'film' of East Witton Fell = what a small place the world is these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Technology makes the world smaller sadly Pat but drones do give a different perspective on the land below.

      Delete
  3. Yes, Neil has us all checking YouTube for drone videos of our home towns! I like seeing the parks and green space in your area. My town was 14,000 when my parents moved us here in 1966. Now it is a city of around 150,000! But we still have lots of parks and forest preserves set aside to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is of course the key Ellen, to conserve areas of natural wilderness.

      Delete
  4. Centre Vale Park looks like a great amenity for the people of Todmorden. The drone footage of the church is great - such unusual viewpoints all in a row and I think the snow helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you sparked everyone off to go and find drone videoing of their area, an interesting concept.

      Delete

Love having comments!