Friday, March 31, 2023

Thoughts for this morning

 How to use the Internet.  No this has nothing to do with the technical side but with the flow of what is happening in the outside world.

Yesterday I listened to two things I had 'chosen' to listen to.  Choice is a matter of how we see the world.  So I might read the Guardian online and be influenced by them but that is my way of seeing the world.  I love the funny aspects of today's commentators as they unravel the politics. John Crace and Marina Hyde have that wry satirical eye that I envy and I learn to drop my 'expletives' over politics and smile sweetly.  Do you remember the "expletive deleted" time, it was down to Richard Nixon as he came under the eye of the judiciary.  Now in important documents we use the word "redacted" to exclude sensitive wording in a document, in a TV film, the black lines of things YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO READ, loom large on the page.

But I am moving away from my thoughts.  Firstly, to the talk given by Cinnamon Press for Mark Charlton's new book 'Views From The Bike Shed' a composition of essays, or blogs if you so wish, which had been published by the aforementioned publisher.  

I had sent off for the book and the last few days have been enjoying these snapshots of thought.  Of course he makes people like myself wonder about our contributions to the blogsphere, but I know quite definitely why I write  and whilst I admire his writing skills, we are all different.

So yes I am enjoying the book thoroughly, I thought it was very brave of Mark to sit in front of his computer and read some of his work out and Jan was a delightful person who managed the interview with grace and kindness.  We should have more of this and I hope plenty of people will buy the book to understand the nature of blogging in public.

I did not put forward a question though the one that burned on my lips was how do we actually write about our families and friends, how much to put in or take out.  Is an emotional reaction, which we often experience when writing fair game for the public?

And to the other thing I watched yesterday evening.  I contribute to a couple of podcasts, and one of them is 'Fruity Knitting'.  Knitting has come a long way since 'Woman's Own' magazine, there are a lot of young whizz kids out there, taking the craft up all over the world and making it a fun activity.

But Fruity Knitting came into being in 2016 when an Australian couple, Andrew and Andrea started it.  They visited designers and wool shows all over the world and interviewed people, it brought a whole new meaning to the craft of knitting.  Sadly Andrew died and now Andrea does the monthly show with her pretty daughter, and they have fun, either in the country they now live in which is Germany or abroad.

Last night show featured Debbie Bliss and her work, a frank appraisal of the ups and downs of the commercial world of selling books, patterns and wools in this thriving business.

For a moment my fingers itched to knit some baby clothes, as partnership amongst my grandchildren is getting serious!  But what I am going to do through the morning is introduce you to a couple of the videos I do enjoy,  especially Jenna Phipps, think she maybe on the spectrum somewhere, but then aren't we all.....


10 comments:

  1. I suggested the library buy The Bike Shed Book but got a message back saying 'sorry not buying it' - no idea why. Annoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was decent of you Sue, and with your library experience, or at least the number of books you order to read, you would think they would take the recommendation seriously.

      Delete
  2. Fruity Knitting is inspirational those girls make such lovely things, Debbie Bliss has provided me with wonderful patterns over the years. I love to knit with natural yarns so find it dreadful that farmers get nothing for their fleeces. I saw on the news recently that they were actually burying them on our local moors in an effort to retain the peat bogs rather than accepting around 20p for each one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What has surprised me Jenny is the beautiful wools you can get in places like the Scandinavian countries, America, Canada and Italy. It is sad about the fleeces going to waste, though of course the degrees of softness and how wool could be used for hard wearing stuff like carpets has to be taken into account.

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for attending last night - I was slightly overwhelmed by the people on the session and delighted to have some true bloggers to support me. To truly - thank you again.
    And I wish you had raised that point because it is a thorny problem, especially as recollections may vary, as they say - and also because there is often a tension between truth and hurt - and privacy too. I addressed this in my first book ( which was deeply personal in places) and wrote a post about it too. I think I shall try to write about it again soon - so look out for that.
    Thanks again - much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mark, I think the 'bubbles' of blogland should support each other and I was totally impressed by your readings. That I chickened out of asking a question I think was because I could not see the audience and also very timid of coming forward. So let us all continue writing on in this virtual world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, goodness Thelma, I don't know why I enjoyed that video of Jenna but I did. What a fun apartment for a young woman. I do enjoy reading blogs and spend quite a bit of time each morning going through all of the ones I like best. I have learned so much from all of you bloggers and have seen lovely and interesting photos from around the world. Thanks so much for all of the time you put into this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Jenna just sings youth and dottiness Ellen. As you say we learn so much as to what is going on in the rest of the world through the internet that it opens our eyes to the excitement of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My server cannot always handle zoom. I would have loved to join this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My zoom went a bit funny at times Debby. But it was a shame you were not there, you would have been more forthcoming in your questions.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!