Friday, March 17, 2023

17th March

 

Remembering the Tree Ents


Silicon Valley Bank crisis

Every morning I read the news on my tablet.  It is not particularly serious news and I can't read the Telegraph or The Times because I do not subscribe. So this morning it was all about 'contagion' in the banks but the Guardian articles was mostly about trees.  Are they trying to tell us something maybe? Invest in trees, the banks are going to fail?  There are Guardian articles below that are about the present banking crisis.



Apparently there maybe some sort of feud going on which involves Peter Thiel, a Republican billionaire is involved in. And when Credit Suisse bank starts feeling the pinch you begin to have a slight worry.  Mind you when you read the headlines as from the Telegraph "Could Credit Suisse Bankrupt Switzerland"  headline chasing newspapers should perhaps put the brakes on.

A crab apple tree, it throws shade over an old badger sett.  But now rabbits occupy it.
So to trees, their gnarled surfaces as they age reminding us of old age in ourselves.  We need to plant more to help with the climate and yet the Guardian highlights councils cutting down trees in the towns.  Green lungs are vital to negate the pollution from cars within towns but it is one of those urban disputes.

Exuberantly blossomed hawthorn


12 comments:

  1. I don't know anything about banks and financiers, but I saw a local news report last night that Plymouth, under the cover of darkness, started uprooting trees in an area of the city centre. They didn't make it public knowledge and from what I saw they cordoned off the area so that any protestor couldn't get through. I think the plan was to destroy 129 trees, but someone had found some illegality which stopped the destruction. They (the destroyers) were very organised as the shredding trucks were there reducing the trees to sawdust as soon as they were uprooted. It makes you weep doesn't it? And it just shows you how sneaky and underhand the powers that be in Plymouth are. Shame on them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I saw that Joan and the sneaky way they went about it. I am not sure of the ins and outs but it normally boils down to the work the trees create, yet green space and trees in urban settings is a must.

      Delete
  2. I did read where some council (might have been Sheffield but I am not sure) cut down some trees after dark when everyone was asleep and they woke up to devastation. I love trees and believe it is a crime to cut them down unless they are dangerous;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheffield I think cut trees down in 2021 Pat. Sometimes the council will get a tree surgeon to say the trees have a disease and are therefore dangerous from falling branches.

      Delete
  3. I heard about that sneaky council cutting down trees at night - horrible story. Everywhere we lived we always planted trees - and really annoyed to see any cleared for no proper reason

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always planted trees as well Sue, in Bath you could not cut trees in your garden because it added up to the heritage look of the city.

      Delete
  4. Your ancient trees are such a treasure. I hope people realize their importance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Debby there are plenty of preservation societies for defending trees and there are many very old trees propped up in old age.

      Delete
  5. Yes, I read about the underhand way that Plymouth council went about cutting those trees, and it makes my blood boil that elected councillors treat their voters with such contempt. In our neck of the woods we have had a couple of road widening schemes recently that have resulted in the destruction of far more trees than necessary for the widening, but at least the contractors have made an effort at replanting although the plastic guards that they used are making a real mess as they blow about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have planted so many trees in this lifetime. I think I may take a drive about and see how many remain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Well there is an injunction against the remaining 19 trees being chopped down but I think it is temporary, some jiggery-pokey thing going on probably. The trees are sacrificed!

      Delete

Love having comments!