Tuesday, March 14, 2023

14th March 2023

The week goes by uneventfully..  Next week a visit to the eye clinic, somewhere in one of those large towns, Huddersfield I believe.  Luckily it is the day when my daughter has a break, so she will take me there.

They were talking about Smart phones on the radio yesterday, in the context that councils are now expecting you to pay car parking fees by app and how quite a lot of people, including me, don't really understand apps.

Flashing one's debit card I can do quite easily but hunting round on my phone for a silly bit of information is beyond me.  I see my family with train tickets, plane tickets, theatre tickets all on their phones, they can print out the tickets from their computers of course, as an added piece of physical evidence.

Which leads me to the fact I should buy a new computer as this one is getting wickedly slow, though I haven't filled its space up yet.  So yesterday I went to Dells online and thumbed through the prospective candidates and looked at the technical terms which each had.  Well in the welter of Cores, Ram, Amdem I am lost, but will wait for Andrew tonight to make his judgement. He had recommended a rather large one a few weeks ago, but it was one of these stand on its own monitor which I reckoned was for  films/games and somehow I can watch such thing easily on my tablet or this computer.  Choices, choices.

I shall also ask him to copy the backup of my blog on this computer on to my external drive.

What I love about having a blog, is that the accumulation of one's writing can be read, like a book, anytime.  Aril of Gnat Bottom Towers wrote about Apostle spoons recently and suddenly I remembered I had written about Celtic spoons, and found the two blogs just in search.  I shall put the links below, knowing of course people will find them boring but for me the discovery of two spoons by the The Locksbrook in Bath all that time ago was exciting.

Celtic Spoons

Gathering Theories

The last thought is some beautiful wool I have been knitting.  The trick is to take two balls one of wool and the other of Kid Silk, it produces a very silky knit, for a moment it reminds me of the little boleros we used to wear over our party dresses as children.



It has created a 'haze' around the knitted area, and softens the orange colour. I have bought a lemon/cream combination as well.



20 comments:

  1. Give me beautiful yarn over fancy phones any day. Surely learning a craft and making things is more satisfactory than being able to use an ap. I am proud that I can understand the most complicated knitting pattern, can hardly use my very basic emergency phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Jenny. I am not sure I can understand the most complicated patterns but knitting winds away the stress and at the end you make something useful.

      Delete
  2. Huddersfield is becoming very run down; not what it was. The same as many other places. At least you don't need an app. to park at the infirmary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We, as a family, don't own a car between us, so its train and bus most times Tasker. Be interesting to see another town in this area. Though I have been to a hospital here for my fractured ankle a few years back.

      Delete
  3. Your blog posts must be so helpful to your memories of what has happened in the past. I have to back up stuff and clean up my old computer too but just keep putting it off as I am not quite confident in my ability to do it properly. Then I think, who will really go back to look at all of my old files so is it really worth it anyway...?!
    Your knitting is lovely. I have just begun and am knitting dishcloths with cotton yarn! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find cotton clothes useful, use them as dusters as well Ellen. I am not sure how people back-up their blogs, obviously off your old computer when it doesn't work. I use an external drive, on which I mostly put photos but I presume memory sticks are useful as well.

      Delete
  4. When you buy your new computer make sure that the keys on the keyboard are easily visible. Some keyboards illuminate and others don't. Some have very bold letters and symbols while others have very thin but stylish letters and symbols.. With your issues with vision I think this is an important consideration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that is why I was sticking with Dell Neal, because the lettering on this computer is strong, white letters against a black background. Also I like the screen, don't really want to own a brighter than bright screen with false colouring.

      Delete
  5. Sounds lovely - hope we see the finished article. I bought a Dell Laptop about a year ago as my previous one had got so slow. I love it - can't find any identifixation on it other than Dell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knitting is taking off as a fashionable hobby Pat, and beautiful yarns are being designed in the world to tempt knitters.

      Delete
  6. I never would have thought of mixing those two colors, but it is beautiful, like looking at oxidized copper. You will laugh heartily at me, I suppose, but our laptop is a cheapie from Acer. We bought it because it was on sale, and we figured that if it lasted two or three years it would have served its purpose. We have gotten perfectly good use out of it for nearly 10 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Debby mixing the two colours has softened the harshness of the orange. What annoys me about this computer it takes about a 15 minutes to 'warm' up when I switch it on, there is something slightly unreliable about the programme it works from.

      Delete
  7. We don't have smart phones. It seems that the good ones are outrageous in price, need constant updates or replacements. I also think they tend to take over anyone's life. A sort of obsessive fixation that can scarcely be put aside in company, while eating, or even while driving. I daresay I could learn the basic functions of one, but I fully expect I'll continue to do without. Likewise the push to do all of one's banking and bill paying online. 'Hacking' of accounts may not be an everyday occurrence but it happens often enough to be a concern.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They (Vodafone) have nagged me silly trying to get me to buy a new phone, something I don't want Sharon. My phone is only used as a simple one. The hacking problem is a worry but it seems it is something we have to live with. Not sure where my nearest bank is but there is probably one lurking in Manchester.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's all very well expecting everyone to use parking apps, but they're no good if you can't get a signal which has been our experience sometimes. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed that Aril in some of the discussion about it. To be quite honest, we would all be in trouble if the internet went belly up.

      Delete
  10. We have store here where the sales people do not work on commissions. Since I spend much time with photographs and editing photographs I told him I wanted a processor and video card that were high end, like those that are used for video games. That was years ago and I do no regret spending the money. How do you back up your blog? That is a new one for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Backing up blogs. I am sure it would tell you on blogger Tabor, though on the internet doesn't it go to that Cloud in the sky? I put a lot of my stuff such as photos on an external drive, which I bought from Dell. Of course you only have it up to the time you transferred it.

      Delete
  11. My computer guru thinks old people need big, stand alone computers. We argued a lot last time, several years ago. I lost. Next computer, I will consult a grandchild.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Trouble with grandchildren Joanne they have better eyesight than us. But I don't want a large computer taking up space on my work table also.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!