Thursday, April 20, 2023

20th April 2023

Thanks to Aril for this.  Her visit to Bristol reminded me of the two great things that came from that city.  Banksy of course and Nick Parks of Aardman fame.  The plasticine figures that took an incredible amount of patience to move round for their animation.

Well you all know 'Chicken Run' Wallace and Gromit and Creature Comforts, but I remember when they were unknown and started out.  Using ordinary people of the streets of Bristol they would animate animals to go with the voices.  It reminds me of all the silliness of humour so many years back when there was an innocence to the world!

Here is a video from Bristol Zoo, which I believe is closing down soon.  It was here many years ago that I as a class helper took my little entourage of 8 years old and looked after them.  When the elephant sprayed me with a trunkful of water, and I counted my children time and time again to make sure I had the right number.  Then that awful moment, as we made our way back to the bus and the children rushed forward to hang over the polar bears den.  I was one child missing and as I approached with dread the wall surrounding the enclosure with the polar bears in the pit, looking for the missing child, the sheer relief as he wasn't in there, just further along in the crush of the crowd as they looked over at these poor creatures.




8 comments:

  1. I rather think he was responsible for putting Wensleydale cheese out to a wider audience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would take ages to make those films Pat, the models had to be placed in each position.

      Delete
  2. Oh goodness, Thelma, the stress of herding a group of 8 year olds through the zoo! Glad you were able to find your lost lamb and return them all safe and sound after their visit. This post did bring back memories of traveling with children! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It left an indelible mark on my mind Ellen, it was a blisteringly hot day, the elephant's present cooled me off.

      Delete
  3. How I remember when my parents lost my brothers at the St. Louis Zoo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheer panic station Joanne, especially losing other people's children.

      Delete
  4. The idea of recording the voices first and matching the animation to them was brilliant. I have a few friends who worked for Aardman. All sculptors. I don't like zoos so I won't miss Bristol's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose the only thing zoos are good for are breeding fast disappearing species but even that is sad. Also something I did not mention, plasticine was invented in Bath by a teacher, the factory was at Bathampton. I wonder if that fact inspired Nick Parks.

      Delete

Love having comments!