Thursday, April 27, 2023

27th April 2023

I feel like a washed out rag, squeezed dry and sleepy.  Fish and chips for tonight's tea and a salad to go with it.  I came back very stiff from all that walking my dear daughter has decided I need a pair of walking sticks!  They arrived by Royal Mail this afternoon.  Goodness knows how I will get on with them, I can hardly find change in my purse and keep my shopping bag from tumbling to the floor.  Am not really contemplating any great hikes over the moor and wandering about the towns round here with them will be an embarrassment.

So a few photos to be going along with, I found the statue of the alpacas outside the little cafĂ© in the park where we had cornflake cake.  Titus Salt used Russian wool and Alpaca in his weaving.  Apparently he was not a great recorder of the how's and whys of creating a village and large mill.  Though of course it is much better to keep all the operations of weaving under one roof.  So it was with his workforce, he created an environment of good housing, school, college and social clubs. The almshouses were beautifully carved stone masterpieces and there was plenty of green spaces to quieten the eye.  It is called 'paternalism' and one should make up one's mind how you see it.  But it is a long way from the Conservatism we see today, perhaps the party should learn a little of Salt's ways.

Living by a canal in the reaches of a town as Andrew does means he has a quiet place to walk every day.  The train station is but ten minutes away and Lidl not much further.  So walking everywhere is easy.

Apparently because there were so many windows in the mill it was difficult to hang paintings

Blossom everywhere at the moment.  I saw fritillary and cuckoo flower or Ladies Smock in the park.




Saltaire United Reform church

Almshouses

;the alpaca

The frontage of the mill


In this rather elegant building in Bradford is housed Waterstones


8 comments:

  1. Oh dear to the walking sticks - will you lose them accidently or on purpose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem I have Sue is that my once fractured ankle gives way when out walking, so perhaps one stick will fall in the canal accidentally. The thought was kind though.

      Delete
  2. Love Ladies' Smock. We had many in the meadows on the farm - I miss them As for being embarrassed using walking sticks in the town. Don't be - if it comes to walking with sticks or not walking at all - then there is no alternative. I got past the state of being embarrassed long ago and never give it a thought now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an early spring flower Pat, it has a long history in the Englishman's Flora. Attractive to adders in Germany apparently, and of course the smock part relates to milkmaids.

      Delete
  3. I believe Waterstones is in the Wool Exchange building - like Saltaire designed by Henry Francis Lockwood. Airmyn Clock, which I wrote about a month ago, resembles its tower and was also designed by HFL. As I've mentioned previously, my wife's direct ancestor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an extraordinarily decorated building Tasker, could do with a scrub up, apparently the insides are just as fine.

      Delete
  4. I have walking sticks, in a corner. Even an over the neck and shoulder bag didn't help enough!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We need three hands at least to cope with all we carry and do in the outside world Joanne.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!