Thursday, July 11, 2024

11th July 2024

 More humdrum news:  This morning I walked down the canal path to Lidl, there was a young man playing the violin outside the entrance to the supermarket.  But before I tell that incident, I must make a small list of the wild flowers that edged the canal.  Oxeye daisies in abundance, meadowsweet, fireweed and toadflax, not forgetting the ubiquitous yellow flowers I can never name. Someone had picked all the gooseberries.

I decided to give the violinist some money, having just bought a first class stamp for £1.35 for a birthday card for my son, (yikes) I realised a pound would not do, so gave him a two pound coin, and he gave me a happy smile, he only had two contributions in the violin case. I should at this point go into a long diatribe about the awful austerity that we live under, half hidden I might remind you but still there. But I won't.  Also had a nice comment on my blog, thanking me for being me, which I thought was sweet, so my day has begun well.

I have decided to adopt Josh Fenton-Glynn as a second son, though he will never be aware of it;). I watched him take the oath in parliament yesterday solemn faced and Andrew sent me a photo of Josh with his old teacher hugging him somewhere in the bowels of parliament.

Edit; Apparently his science teacher who has also won a seat in parliament!

Unfortunately it was on X which I have never joined so I wasn't able to comment.  Andrew by the way had Covid last week and has kept away because my daughter is going up to London next week for Matilda's graduation ceremony and didn't want to catch it.  He is clear now.

Mark my son is in his 40s and it is his birthday in a few days time, I am useless at dates, so I sent him three cook books Rukmini Iyer - The Roasting Tin, etc.  I cooked one of her recipes last night, pearl barley with leeks and tomatoes.  She has an easy one dish format, carbohydrates - rice, orzo, pearl barley, potatoes, then the protein in some form of cheese and then vegetables. 




11 comments:

  1. The world needs more kindness, which makes me glad that you are you as well.

    I was much encouraged by your country turning back from its trudge to conservatism. I can only hope that my own country follows suit. I am afraid to hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shock, although the Conservative knew that it was coming, was somewhat comical. But what with Johnson and Truss and the money fiddled out of the treasury something had to happen during the Covid episode. It seems drastic but a new broom in the form of the Labour government might make things better.

      Delete
  2. I would not mind at all if you wrote about the austerity. It's always nice to read tales of family and personal matters. It makes bloggers into real people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems rather pointless talking about a gathering crisis, children without breakfasts or beds to sleep on. Working parents going to food banks. A few months back, we went to I think Huddersfield, there was a row of railway arches with tents inside. Everyone in blogland seems comfortable with their lives but it is not so good for others.

      Delete
  3. I've been hearing and reading about more people getting Covid. I hear it is not as bad as past strains and hope that was true for your Andrew.
    "Humdrum" is a good word to describe many of my days! But they still zoom by...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not pleasant this current Covid but Andrew felt very ill Ellen. Actually living humdrum lives is far better than the awful lot of what other people lives are in other countries, so maybe we should be thankful.

      Delete
    2. You are right about that, Thelma. We are lucky!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the mention of the cookery book. I have just ordered a second hand copy of the veggie one. It looks good. Jan Bx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a good and lively selling of books on the net, which is so useful Jan.

      Delete
  5. It must have been quite a surprise to see his teacher if he did not know already.
    The more I see of Starmer in his new role, the more I like him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well it seems rather funny that the two should come from the same area. Haven't seen much of Starmer yet, but he seems very busy.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!