Friday, August 7, 2026

7th August 2026

 It was cool yesterday, showers all day, and puddles in the road! Again, the trains were playing up.  Ninety seconds of an interruption of the signalling and the whole theatre practically closed down.  My daughter will tell you of people sitting on trains waiting for them to move, or the sudden rush of people across the platform as a rumor has gone out that another train is about to move.  She calmly goes to a restaurant, has a meal and reads a book.  A train eventually got  her to Rochdale, no replacement bus so an Uber to Tod.

All I can think of is rather than play around with money on the stock exchange, especially AI, put the money to a decent use, clean up the water and see that our rolling stock is up to date and of course build more houses and see that people do not starve, even the food banks are finding the shelves more empty.

Speculation and gambling?  we now talk in trillions rather than billions, though you can slide quite easily out of being the richest person on the planet  as Elon Musk was last week, or maybe the second one this week.  Not really important, as the money doesn't even really exist, just scribbles on a bit of paper. 

Well Burnham is settling down to the job, his 'shocks' metered out over the days.  I am not quite sure what to make of him, he has got social care in his baggage but it is a giant of a problem.

Yesterday I filled in one of the innumerable surveys that make their way across my emails.  This time Nova Media.  I like their discussions, youngish people musing on the daily going on in the world.  They are striking out into new premises and of course the future lies in these start-up news venues. Note: it gives me kudos with the young in the family by the way! 

There is so much to read on the net, with Substack for instance, a lot may be nonsense, but it broadens the mind.  We are definitely becoming a 'Babylon' of words.  

Which reminds me, of a quote by H.G.Wells, when all our little egos will become part of the one large ego of the world. We will be (was he prescient I wonder;) subsumed by AI no less.

Strikes me as funny


2 comments:

  1. I must never become a trail guide . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. That meme strikes me as funny, too, Thelma. I think I get more news now from the independent newsletters I read that come to my email inbox. Also, I like my Public Television Station (PBS) for presenting the news. They seem so logical and balanced when they share stories.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome, comments are appreciated.