Not much to write about but I thought I would nudge up Manchester, after all it has become the Number 10 of the North. I saw a funny news item on that. No.10 North has its office in a local council business where the registration of marriages take place. The bride to be Sarah Burwin had asked Burnham to stay away on her big day, especially his security. Burnham sent a Tiktok message saying that he would. You can see the exchange here
You may be wondering what that photo is up top for. Well AI Weiwei is in town with his latest showing of his art work. Weiwei is a well known Chinese artist, also a political dissident or activist. But his fame as a well known artist protects him. I don't know if anyone remembers the sunflower seeds at the Tate, it was a puzzle but you have to look at it with a different frame of mind to understand. Though reading about him in Wikipedia, a very long read, shows a very varied life.
Ai Weiwei’s work is widely recognized as a form of civic resistance, confronting injustice and authoritarianism. His installations often expose government failures, censorship, and abuses of power.
| Sunflower seeds at the Tate It was Karen and Andrew who visited the artwork at the Aviva Studios at the Factory International over the weekend. They were totally impressed by his work. The famous 'Japanese Wave of Hokusai' which you can see in the following video is just made up of lego. |
There was a wonderful exhibit of the art of Hokusai at the community college not far from my home that my son and I went to last year. It was really fabulous. Just yesterday my son was wearing the t-shirt he bought there with the The Great Wave off Kanagawa on it so it's a coincidence for me that you mention it today, Thelma.
ReplyDeleteCoincidences often happen Ellen. The Great Wave is perhaps the only Japanese art work that stays in the memory of people. Ai Weiwei had balanced it with a boat full of refugees.
DeleteAi Wei Wei's work is phenomenal and so varied.
ReplyDeleteYes very modern Janice. I am not sure how I like it, it is a sort of large scale extravagance.
DeleteAi Wei Wei ha exhibited here and his works we saw were just terrific.
ReplyDeleteHe must work with a lot people I suppose to make his designs work Andrew.
DeleteI have to say, I prefer my art to be representational. I like the boar and the cockerel head but a pile of grain does nothing for me . . . My favourite pieces are the highly-detailed Pre-Raphaelite scenes of countryside and plant.
ReplyDeleteI was amazed by that Hogsback used as a lintel above the church door. Wonderful piece too. Just as good inside the church as well. I need an outing to Somewhere Special . . .