Friday, September 11, 2026

This and that

 


Hugo, the tallest Shire horse in the world and he still has time to grow a little more.  Standing at 6.5 feet to the withers.  He shines with health and love.  It brings back George Stubbs who painted horses for a living.  Stubbs painting of a lion attacking a terrified horse still remains in my memory.

What else?  The Devil's Arrow stones  at Boroughbridge.  The place they came from is now recorded as Brimham Rocks and not Plumpton Rocks.  Whatever, these four stones were dragged overland to be sunk into the ground and perhaps the stones that lead you to that most sacred landscape in Yorkshire.....

ref link 

Note: tall stones were obviously the most treasured possessions of the Neolithic people in this part of Yorkshire as the Rudston monument testifies.

There are extensive prehistoric remains west of the stones which confirm they formed a southern gateway to a vast, sacred region between the rivers Swale and Ure, home to seven late-Neolithic henges.  Something to think on, Julian Cope of The Modern Antiquarian book always said that the River Ure was a very sacred place.

Looking up this Old English word  UR and it could seem to mean water.  But then again you could be awash in the beguiling task of trying to arrive at some conclusion when you read the scholars threshing out its meaning.  

The point made though about the stones coming from Brimham reminded me we had gone to this strange rocky outcrop on a visit and wandered through.  Now this is not woo-woo but I did not like those rocks they had a scary look.  Stone can often have a magnetic pull, and this feeling can be put down to this, a perfectly logical explanation.  But for me I  have had the same sort of reaction to an outcrop of stones nearer home - The Bridestones.

I think it is their formation, they are scarred by the glaciers that were once a feature of the landscape and stand in odd shapes.  It can easily be seen why the Neolithic people worshipped them.

I have looked up my blog on Brimham Rocks here, and the stones are indeed weirdly shaped, I wonder why I am so much unease with them?

One last personal story ;) Marc did not get run over by a tank but a military vessel, you know I am a stickler for truth - The result was just as bad of course, the doctor on looking down on Marc's broken body when he was wheeled into the hospital waivered as to whether he should be sent down to the mortuary.  Luckily they chose to mend him.



And perhaps the last but not least important remembering of today.  It is the 25th anniversary of 9/11 when the rogue Al-Caeda terrorists hijacked four American planes and crashed into the two towers and two other places,  I believe almost 3000 people died as a result of that terrible crime.  All I remember on the day that it happened was the television showing over and over again the moment of impact as the planes crashed into the towers.  Many a tale of courage and strength but there were also some terrible scenes.  It cannot be glossed over as a memory but it must be remembered.

2 comments:

  1. Well, you certainly mentioned many different things that I knew nothing about in this post, Thelma.
    Many are remembering the 9/11 attacks today. We have a memorial in our city with a steel girder from one of the towers to honor those lost. It's named for a Naperville man who died at the Pentagon that day - Dan Shanower.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome, comments are appreciated.