Monday, April 25, 2022

Jumble of Rocks

Brimham Rocks, what can you say about these weirdly shaped enormous rocks that balance on each other?  You can read the geological history here and learn how the land formed in Yorkshire when two continental plates collided and then how the weather milled the stones down into these strange formations.  But weather, ice and sand have left us with this marvellous playground for children today.  We arrived fairly early before the carparks filled up and wandered down the paths to the little cafe below Brimham House.

Well the children called my family played at Titanic on the rocks, though Andrew got a fright when a particularly strong gust got him, yes the weather was cold and windy though the sun shone.  The rocks of course fit into anthropomorphic shapes as you look at them and it is indeed a very strange landscape.  You can get a glimpse from Rhiannon of  Modern Antiquarian fame in her role as an excellent folklorist.  She used to work in Bath Library at the weekends and often found me little bits of history that only a true librarian can find in those literate papers that lurk unseen in the back rooms or on the net..  The link is here.  

Being of a certain age I did not scrabble around on the rocks but kept to the paths, though I did once climb to a viewpoint and look at the landscape all around, not knowing at the time that these rocks once formed a range as high as the Himalayas.

Thanks must go to my family for arranging this outing and to Andrew for his driving and upmarket skills at arrangment of paid car parks beforehand.  I shall never come to terms with apps on phone that show that you have paid for tickets on trains, buses and outings, the world moves too quickly for me.

Also my daughter arranged a picnic for when we got to Bolton Abbey, where we sat by the river on an old patchwork quilt, wasn't sure if it was one of mine because I recognised some of the materials.  Quiche and sausage rolls, tomatoes, olives and grapes to the sound of rippling water by the River Wharfe which is a wide shallow river falling over stones.  There was blackheaded gulls patrolling up and down and little wagtails dipping their ways over the stones.  

At this stage too much fresh air had got to me so while everyone went a walk down to the abbey I stayed in the car and chatted on the phone to my son.

So all in all a perfect day arranged by Karen and Andrew and I have been introduced to perhaps another wonder of the world......
















My tag at the end:  For those who do not understand technology of the time, just wait for people to go abroad and work it out from there!

14 comments:

  1. It's a remarkable place, isn't it? My brother and I have had many a tussle with parking apps. It seems unfair to me that as soon as we reach the age when we've got this complicated thing called life almost sorted out, they start changing all the rules!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes John, so weird, I notice it has bilberries and cowberries in summer as well. Many cars turned up when we got back to the car parks obviously a place to take children and dogs. Met three Bernese sheep dogs as well.

      Delete
  2. I have never heard of this place before. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I suppose Cheddar gorge is also something special Tom, a rocky outcrop that suddenly springs on you.

      Delete
  3. They remind me of the Dartmoor tors a bit. Also some rocky parts of Derbyshire. Glad you got some fresh air. I'd be no good with those parking apps either - it's all a plot to keep old people out of city centres I reckon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough the Cornwall tors seem to have prehistoric settlements at their foot, along with stone circles, there is no hint of them at the Brimham Rocks Jennie. But the valley in which Bolton Abbey was lush and green and hidden, typical of those old monks to choose well.

      Delete
  4. They really are so impressive aren't they/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Pat totally impressive, a geological wonder and the thought of that great time scale for it to form is scary.

      Delete
  5. I love Brimham rocks. It is years since I visited but it is a magical place. Thank you for taking me back there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very strange place I must admit but I am glad it brought back memories for you.

      Delete
  6. I'm going to sound like an awful person, but I say it anyway. I watch people using technology who are (for lack of a nicer way to put it) not the brightest crayons in the box. I take a deep breath and say to myself, "If they can figure it out, I can figure it out." Disclaimer: usually there is more than an little unspoken swearing going on, but generally, I figure it out. After two years, I have figured out that my smart phone can be used as a gps. That's the level of my technological proficiency.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like mobile phones but my family are all on that fruity one Debby. Which dances its way through their lives paying anything by just being held up to the hand held device, working out the latest train, or doctor's appointment. Then there is me, I don't want apps on my phone, it doesn't always recognise my finger print. I thought for GPS a watch was good enough for that, I still read the signposts;)

      Delete
  7. Those are some mighty serious rocks to be clambering about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The children seem to be enjoying it as were the adults Joanne.

      Delete

Love having comments!