Saturday, April 9, 2022

Here and there

I have taken the plunge and ordered myself a new spinning wheel, it is a small traveller.  Perhaps I should not have got rid of my old one, but I did and now have to buy a new one.  It will be exciting taking up spinning again.  For most people perhaps not, but as the wheel spins and the yarn emerges I shall be content.  Looking round for secondhand ones and the first thing you notice is that they have to be collected and can be anywhere in the country, so purchasing new is probably less of a gamble.

There are beautiful colourd tops of wool to spin.  My favourite natural wool is Blue-Leicester wool, a slight crimp and lustre to the wool makes it easy to spin.  A good Merino is soft and  takes dyes easily, I notice there is more Alphaca on the market as well.

One of the things you see is that craft work has become popular in its many forms and shapes.  Here in Tod they have opened a makery at the Community College.  The call for people to reuse and recycle has gone up, soon perhaps we will have washing machines that will last a good long while and are mendable. 

I also notice that Paul Lewis of Moneybox fame has bought out an article of how to keep warm against the high prices of energy.  Heated gloves for goodness sake as you type at your computer, and a Breville Hotcup for your teamaking to save on energy as well.

Then, can't resist this, the downfall of Rishi Sunak as his enormous wealth, including his wife's fortune has come under media display - pay your taxes or else! No soft ride to being prime minister then.

There are terrible things happening in the world, especially in Ukraine at the moment.  But there is a plucky spirit in the people too fight the Russian dragon. At home the problems are small but annoying, long queues of lorries at Dover, ferries that are in a muddle and long queues at Manchester airport.  The price of everything going up, hello Brexit are you helping us? daft question, of course not.

Yesterday I started to make a file of spun work, but my photos are all over the place, and it will take forever.  I notice how I love the colour yellow, the sun catching it and making it glow. Yellow is the colour of spring, daffodils, wild primroses, celandine and cowslips and of course marsh marigolds.  In this 2007 blog I capture their history.

Paul Lewis who is very tearful over what the upcoming rises in living will mean for many people, a casual remark on Twitter sums it up..

As one respondent put it: “It’s a damning indictment of the depths to which this country has sunk when the cheerful guy who provided advice about the best savings, offers and phone deals is now tearfully providing advice on how not to die from cold or malnutrition. Thank you – I wish it wasn’t necessary.”

Heat the body not the home



14 comments:

  1. Martin Lewis is a hero. He doesn't need to work he is wealthy, but he spends his time helping people. A kind man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes he has become a very popular person in the media. We need people like Martin Lewis to fight the battles that we are beset by.

      Delete
  2. Martin Lewis has run out of useful tips to prevent starvation through poverty. The country has been ruined, and we all know how. Rishi Sunak was very popular when handing out other people's money, especially amongst fraudsters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no tears for Sunak, he has to do something about energy prices. Farmers and growers are complaining and you would never guess it but we don't have a decent food programme either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately, in my corner of the world, I'm not seeing people willing to change or do things differently. Needs must, as Weaver says.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There has always been an undercurrent of make do in this country Debby. But it has got a long way to go.

      Delete
  5. Sunak is myMP (Richmondshire) - forgotten how many houses he owns but nearly enought to house a fair number of folk trying to find somewhere to live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not helped by the fact that his family is leaving No.11 for their own home in London, so that they can be nearer to their daughter's schooling. Sunak should have done more for the people in the budget. Being rich at the moment is perhaps not the wisest of choices.

      Delete
  6. I regret needing to sell my three wheels, but I had to free up the bedroom for grandchildren to move in. I think of them from time to time. Wool certainly keeps you warm in winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also good for exercising your legs as well Joanna;) I notice that the one ordered has a double treadle.

      Delete
  7. How lovely that you will be spinning again. Not an original thought, but I find that creativity, making something, helps to keep anxiety and stress at bay. I doubt anyone 'needs' my quilts to keep warm, but they seem to have a heart-warming effect on the recipients. [And my stash of fabric is formidable.]
    Politicians here seem to do little for the working middle class--or the retired middle class. Still a lot of 'freebies' for those who appear to be quite irresponsible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Politicians are the same everywhere - not particularly bright. I love the way you make your quilts, it is a very restful occupation, but I can't really take up quilting here Sharon.

      Delete
  8. So glad you will be spinning again. The Traveller seems to have shot up in price - like everything since Covid. I am going to be offering mine at the next Antiques Fair we do. I am just going to finish a quilt in progress and do my heirloom quilt and then it will be smaller bits of stitching, and some x-stitch.

    Sunak has rather shot himself in the foot hasn't he? Certainly fallen off the potential PM listings now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missed this Jennie. Yes definitely shot up in price, over £500 now. Don't know what they fetch at fairs but a couple of hundred pounds seems the option.

      Delete

Love having comments!