Sunday, April 17, 2022

A Good Easter to you all and Blessings.

 My daughter came home last evening with two great bags of 'Go Fresh' food, she had inherited it from someone who had just gone off to London.  It was quite a load of goodies, and one of the recipes was unloaded to cook.  Spiced beef and potato wedges was chosen, I did not participate, not well lately.  So three large potatoes, packet of beef, spices, sour cream and cheese unwrapped and the meal prepared. The verdict was that it tasted bland.  I'm not sure about this gathering together of the ingredients of a meal is particularly good news and I doubt if we will ever go down this road in this household, but a change.

Two Grandchildren are staying in London, Ben who has two jobs, one working at Conran and the other as an intern on styling, had flown to Paris in the week.  He works for people who style the many and varied pop stars, and he had flown to get a costume from Balenciagia for Duo Lipa's forthcoming tour of our troubled isle.  This is a world I do not occupy but they are completely bound up in.  Matilda is also following a fashion course, but more on the art and journalism side.

Her favourite occupation is sitting in the library watching the art students go by, I expect it is like the 60s', flamboyant and out of this world, the young do like to 'peacock' dress.  She wants two children eventually, a rich husband to bring them up with and then she is going to live in  Paris.  She can but dream!

My mind on the other hand has just grasped a small fact on F/B that Trevethy Quoit (long barrow in Cornwall) had a significant platform of greenstone leading from the cromlech into the field.  A similar pathway was also found leading from one of the Hurler stone circles, but this time it was quartz stone. I have just found a short video clip of our friend Roy on this particular dig, don't know if it will work but here it is.  It recalls for me happy days working on a dig and the sun shining, and being part of a team working away scratching in the soil waiting for exciting things to be revealed ;)



15 comments:

  1. I don't think I could have made it as a field archaeologist as it involves far too much kneeling down for my liking. I would be crippled in a week. Regarding Matilda's dream, I used to teach a challenging girl called Caroline. One day I said - You are pretty clever but lazy Caroline - if you worked hard you could get some good GCSE's that would be a springboard for your adult life. She said, "I don't want to work hard. I want two kids with different men and then the council will give me a house." Four years later, her dream had come true. Maybe Matilda's dream will also come true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather doesn't always fit in with excavation dates but the company is good. Matilda is both pretty and clever, so the stakes are pretty high for her to get whatever. Just found her magazine photo on the 6th Form Rochdale College, 3 'A's on her A-levels. They all work pretty hard to get what they want.

      Delete
  2. Is it really necessary for archeologists to wear Hi-Viz? I can understand burglars wearing it to make themselves look official during daylight robbery, but it looks ridiculous on people standing in an open field.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not in my day, but Hi-viz is probably health and safety. Not forgetting also of course, 'chiefs and indians' as my friend used to call them, you have to differentiate. The archaeologists who wander around being learned and the volunteers who do the hard work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's what I think. Archeologists in general are not very attractive people, socially.

      Delete
    2. Not all though Tom. Mick Aston of Time Team was a gentle soul.

      Delete
    3. Media archeologists are much more image-conscious than that bloke in the hat these days, but Barry Cunliffe was of the old school.

      Delete
    4. As was Julian Richards, who had a retiring nature. In fact when I come to think of it there is an almost indecent haste to get into print nowadays.

      Delete
  4. I've not seen any of Cornwall's wonderful archaeology except in photographs. Always good to have sunshine for a Dig. I can remember Tam telling me about girls from Manchester Uni turning up for the Dig they were doing at Stonehenge with Mike P-P, and you'd think they were going for a night out somewhere, with their clothes, and the best they could do was carry a bucket BETWEEN TWO to the spoil heap! Something tells me that Archaeology was not their career choice really.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And Happy Easter to you to Jennie. I think working on a dig probably makes you a good gardener later on in life, all that heaving heavy buckets and wheelbarrows. Mike P.P. is always in the news basically because plenty of headlines equal kudos at their universities. So 'interpretations' come thick and fast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely that the young can dream isn't it? Sorry to hear you are not feeling well - hope when the weather picks up you do too. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am feeling a bit better Pat, and the weather has definitely picked up here in the valley. I suspect Matilda will make her way whatever she does.

      Delete
  7. My niece is currently studying art in London and it is a world far removed from mine. I've recently enjoyed the two new Timeteam episodes that have been released on Youtube. I know some archaeologists curse it, but I've always found the programme rather relaxing! Happy Easter. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  8. A slightly late Happy Easter to you to Aril. The programmes were good at the time, but the three day time limit left much in the ground I think.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!