Wednesday, April 27, 2022

27th April 2022

Wednesday morning and I am once more on the alert for a knock at the door.  This time a passport delivered by TNT.  Waiting for parcels seem to be the new thing now that everyone orders from the internet.  There is a slow change in the use of wrapping paper much more cardboard and paper less plastic but even so there is always plenty to recycle.  Doorstep photographed and now you are legally in charge of delivered parcel.  It gives jobs, hopefully paid well but I doubt that.  I see P&O's ferry ship got stuck going over to Ireland, of course it isn't anything to do with poorly paid new crew to run the ship, talk about being caught with one's trousers down!

Then there is Elon Musk off to buy Twitter for his own purposes, 'Freedom of Speech', I won't swear but although I don't participate on Twitter I deactivated my account yesterday.  There is a lot of nonsense talked about free speech, people seem to forget that we live with each other and are part of a social group in which we must act together not apart.

And then there is Ukraine, harrowing sadness, though it should not be forgotten that there are other wars that exist around the world.  Do we accept that war is a function of civilisation, or that it is primitive tribalism taking over? I have read elsewhere, and I don't know if it is true, that Putin is a sick man does his coming mortality scare him into madness?

But back to day to day affairs, like asking how did dragons come into existence?* blogger has been playing around with our comments and spelling aid (much missed blogger), but it seems we are all adjusting to the new format.

The eavedropping female called Alexa has also been given her marching orders as she was unable to convince us satisfactorily that she wasn't listening to us.

*Was it the griffon on the Roman flag?

Another statue toppled, remember the Saddam one being pulled down by the crowd?

Kyiv dismantles ‘Friendship of the Peoples’ statue erected in 1982 to symbolise ties between Ukraine and Russia. Photograph: Alessio Mamo/The Guardian


15 comments:

  1. I think Elon Musk has shot himself in the foot, if not the head. Soon he will no longer be the richest man in the world. At least Bill Gates - who Musk hates - gives it all away. I could never understand anyone inviting Alexa to live with them - and pay for the privilege (correct spelling thanks to blogger spell-check!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Elon Musk has definitely lost it. Power and influence must be the game. He is turning into a plutocrat, oligarchy only comes within Russian definition. Hurrah for google and its dictionary. How come you have got blogger spell check and not me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't been using Twitter much recently but I also deleted my account. Too much 'free-speech' only equals a lot more hatred in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, you are obviously following the trend at the moment perhaps Elon Musk will get the message.

      Delete
  4. Indeed, at what point do various 'apps' [or whatever] become intrusive rather than helpful? Jim and I have the same credit card, naturally, and a linked account on amazon, etc. When he orders something, usually parts for a vintage tractor, I am then subjected to updates re the order and projected delivery flashing across my PC screen, probably because the accounts were initially set up with my email address. We don't have Alexa or Siri living with us! Now, with all this technology, why can't the endless robo and spam calls be stopped! rhetorical question with no apparent answer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure how it is all going to end up Sharon perhaps different levels of how we receive notifications. But everyone really got suspicious of Alexa when she said something about an order from Amazon and the realisation she was linked in. As far as spam is concerned only open emails from companies you know I suppose.

      Delete
  5. I deactivated my Twitter account yesterday also! I never posted but would get emails when someone I knew posted. Don't need it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder how many of us will deactivate, it will be interesting to find out, he has left his own shares as well in Tesla in a bit of a mess.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never signed up to Twitter as I don't get it but obviously many do as there are supposedly many millions of users. I would be deleting my account now if I had one though. I am not quite sure what Elon Musk is up to but it doesn't seem all above board to me.

    I watched a programme about Putin a few years ago, I cannot remember where. I did not believe all that I heard but one thing that could not lie is watching Putin's body language and his facial expressions, they chilled me. I found him so cold and calculating through watching him in this way and having seen that, I cannot unsee it. He purportedly had a very impoverished childhood, which probably explains why he is fairly short for a man and also, I think, explains a lot about how he is behaving now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could be that Musk has bitten off more than he can chew. Putin has an unfortunate face, very much like you say. Looking at that photo of the statues above and you notice, the bare chests (6 pack?) of them. Now wasn't Putin also riding a horse with his chest bare for the cameras sake? He is in the end only one man, his old generals are supporting him, the young as usual dying on the battleground and as always not many women around to govern!

      Delete
    2. I see you are back in Blogland Sustainable Mum, Welcome back by the way ;)

      Delete
  8. For some reason Blogger is now convinced that I'm an American and tries to correct my spelling accordingly. And it's also started randomly assigning some comments as spam, even though they're from people who've been commenting on my blog for years. All designed to make my life a little less boring.
    I have a friend called Alexa (a real person); several of our mutual acquaintances now call her "she who must not be mentioned by name" when within earshot of her electronic namesake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet it is the young playing around with the programme, not being able to leave it in peace. We will all adjust I think;) Lovely story about a real 'Alexa', it can be quite confusing when the electronic one suddenly answers you with some gobblegook but I swear that sometimes her light came on when no one was speaking to her!

      Delete
  9. Has there ever been a time when there was not war somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Pat, war is inevitable as summer follows spring.

      Delete

Love having comments!