Friday, April 22, 2022

22nd April 2022 - Earth Day

 Or has Carl Sagan would say......................





Type a word in my search space and you will come up again and again with Hesperis Matronalis, or Dame's Violet or even Rocket  in my blog.I just welcome it at this time of year and yesterday walking along the canal, I spied it growing against a steel fence, not a very good photo, it is hard to capture the essence of a flower in bright sun, probably that is why the bluebell rules so well in the shaded wood. Quoting myself.....

 Dame's Violet, Hesperis Matronalis - Sweet Rocket.  I had been reading a book about our village and the author had mentioned phlox down by the river. My mind said surely not and then realised he had meant the delightful Dames Violet, which I had seen near the crab apple tree and old gate, growing amongst the nettles.  I have been in love with this flower for years but reading the Wiki entry on it, and apparently it is a terrible weed in America and Canada, not so in this country I think but an escapee from the garden a few centuries ago.  Anyway I still love its frail whiteness and scent, though you can get a lavender coloured one to.

So to my walk along the canal towards Hebden Bridge, about a mile I think, though it is 4 miles the whole way.  We have a walker in the family by the way, Andrew must walk every day and so this coming Sunday we are off up to Brimham Rocks.  Let us hope I can keep up with the family!  I  definitely mooch on a walk there is no definite goal at the end only the looking at plants, trees, and scenery.









This last photo is a favourite, the noise of angry cackling as the geese find themselves on the wrong side of the fence from the canal cannot be given.  There are many nests tucked away on the banks of the canal.  As the birds flock to the water so do the barges, though many are uninhabited!

14 comments:

  1. Ah, Carl Sagan and his talk of 'yoomans'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I looked at an Earth image half covered with rubbish but decided against it. We all create rubbish with the stuff that we buy.... Carl Sagan had wise words but he was probably pushing against a Sisyphus stone of 'yoomans'.

      Delete
  2. I've heard that Carl Sagan before, but today it made my cry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sagan was always a wise old soul but he should not bring tears Tigger. All we can do is push back and try and create a better world and not give up hope.

      Delete
  3. So nice when the weather cooperates and I can take a walk! Like you, I love to watch for the new blooms and the birds that are returning to my area. Enjoy your weekend walk - hope the sun shines for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a strong wind today, it whistles down the flue Ellen. The funny thing is confined to a narrow valley, most walks have to be uphill through the trees to the tops of the moors. I need to get fitter!

      Delete
  4. That really is one of the things I loved best about your country: the walking paths!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Public footpaths are hard fought for and our right to walk in the country Debby is in actual fact being celebrated in the Kinder Walk tomorrow.

      Delete
  5. How good to be able to walk beside water - not something easy to do in dry Suffolk.
    Have Fun at Brimham Rocks - one place I've been a couple of times along with 100s of other tourists!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I am getting used to the tourist influx in Yorkshire Sue, especially when we are near the large cities of Manchester, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoy your trip to Brimham Rocks - one of our favourite walks when we lived in Wolverhampton.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are making an early start, first Brimham Rocks and then Bolton Abbey for a picnic Pat.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!