Friday, April 15, 2022

15th April 2022

 I have taken putting my spinning wheel together one notch down.  I made myself ill when it first arrived. A fraction a day is now my motto.  So the legs are evenly square,  that took some time and yesterday I fitted the wheel to the frame, though had to take it off once more to fit something I had forgotten about.  Lillie arrived home from Manchester all keen to do something as well but luckily she went off to spend the night with friend in a caravan.  They are supposed to keep an eye on pregnant sheep, the father has broken his ribs.  When I questioned whether she could deliver lambs, she calmly informed me that she had dissected something at school - yikes.

At 15 Lillie is working hard for her exams, otherwise she seems to be the backbone of the scouts group.  At the weekend she works Saturday in a cafe at Hebden Bridge, but has just been offered a job supervising 'The Wall' her handling of the little Beavers (baby scouts) having got her the job, which is very well paid.  They grow so quickly!


I think in the current recent news the only emotion I can find is despair at how our country allows such a rotten government to exist.  I don't even want to fight anymore.  Sending immigrants off to Rwanda to a fate unknown is frighteningly reminiscient of those terrible scenes in the Holocaust, when people were loaded onto the trains.  This time it will be planes, will we watch these harrowing scenes with blank minds indifferent to suffering.  We are all equal under the skin and our Western world, which is slowly unravelling anyway will take another step down the slope.  So be it, unless we fight.

16 comments:

  1. I couldn't believe what I was hearing about Rwanda. It's disgusting.

    Well done to Lillie, Girls are best at lambing because their hands are smaller!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just praying that no new lambs appear in the night;) Sue. She had also just come back from a weekend visit to Northumbria for a reccy of the scouts camping there this coming summer. She enjoys being busy though. It is a wretched immigrant business. Trying to sell the whole idea Pritti Patel had gone to Rwanda to visit the hostel they will stay. A hundred people could stay in it, and they were planning to build two extra buildings...

      Delete
  2. I cannot believe that any Government would make a decision like this. It read like an April 1st "Fooled Ya" until you realize it's 14th April and not a joke. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes you think it is distraction politics Jennie. I read a whole litany of people condemning this action as useless and dangerous. The president of Rwanda is in office for life on dodgy voting (99%) and it seems a strict regime..

      Delete
  3. Just when you think Johnson, Sunak and Patel can sink no lower - they pull something else out of the bag.

    Once upon a time politicans had integrity. Now I doubt they could spell the word because they certainly do not know what it means.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And sadly for a simple reason, which is to keep the Conservatives in power, they lie their way through government.

      Delete
  4. I heard someone on a news programme say that few of them would remain there - they would start the process of getting to the West all over again. I can't help wondering what is happening to their womenfolk left behind too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Pat, it is just shifting the problem temporarily to somewhere else and being heartless enough not to count the cost. We need answers that is for certain, another world would not come amiss.

      Delete
  5. They are making it harder to fight against. Everyone is being criminalised except the criminals, who are effectively being encouraged. They set a fine example by refusing to resign after a criminal conviction they earned for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surely our lawmakers will eventually break them Tom. I know Johnson is trying to preempt such action but surely his 'boyish charm' is losing its sheen even with his own backbenchers. We need a coup like they did on Thatcher.

      Delete
  6. I've been following the news as little as possible, maybe a 'head in the sand' mentality, but so little one can do about anything. It is impossible to have faith in politicians!
    Re the spinning wheel assembly: my son has declared that it is easier to follow blueprints for a building than to put together something that arrives in pieces in a box. Trying to 'set up' a new computer is one that always leaves me frazzled.
    We take refuge in such things that are a comfort--the garden [in spite of the weeds] animals, books, a good meal--striving to find the positives in situations that are increasingly bleak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well had a success this morning Sharon. I managed to fit/centralise a small rod in the hub and the crankshaft, after taking it to pieces for a dozen times. But each success is a step nearer to a fully working wheel. I do always find the positive in my life but despair sometimes of how we are governed. Would I do better? I don't know.

      Delete
  7. I share your despair across the pond. The arguing is just sickening. Nothing gets accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The problem lies in bad regimes elsewhere Debby, that is why there is such a large movement of people. War by Russia on Ukraine has let another convey of poor people stranded in strange countries temporarily. This country of course has just been hit by rising energy prices and the poor will suffer as well, problems everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cannot believe the Rwanda decision. It's no longer a matter of a country recovering, it's a world that must recover. A globe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes Joanne a world order has broken down and now we need to create a new one.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!