Thursday, April 21, 2022

21st April 2022

 Positive News:  Sir David Attenborough as been awarded a 'gong' Champion of the Earth by the UN which he deserves.  As he says there is some good by taking action to fight for the natural environment.

"Fifty years ago, whales were on the very edge of extinction worldwide. Then people got together and now there are more whales in the sea than any living human being has ever seen," he suggested."

Optimism or pessimism chooses the way you look at life. I watched Richard Madley and co interview one of the protesters who belong I believe to the Extinction group.  On the surface he was sympathetic to her but then he brought up the subject of what she was wearing and how that had been produced by the use of oil.  He laboured the point  a ridiculous length of time.  But then it did stop her from talking about saving the planet.  But then that is what the media does, destroy the argument with trivia.

John Crace of Guardian fame calls Johnson 'The Suspect' well as usual to distract our attention from his sins the suspect is flying off to India to negotiate a deal, hopefully it won't mean outgoing goods  leaving from Dover - that queue never gets smaller.

'Go Fresh' update:  I have now cooked two meals in the range.  The first was an oven cooked risotto.  I cooked it in a frying pan on top and it wasn't bad.  I substituted wine instead of cider vinegar, and it made three meals for myself, stuffed two peppers and the remaining bit into the soup.  Can't teach me anything about using up leftovers!  Last night I cooked another spicy dish, a sort of vegetarian curry with Paneer cheese and a puff pastry topping, loved by all but again I did not participate, approximately half was left, which will go for my daughter's lunch today.  The portions are huge and definitely enough for two people stretches into enough for four people easily. 

My spinning wheel is still jammed Andrew and family tried yesterday to pull the offending pin out but no luck.  Think of taking it to the Todmorden Makery over the weekend.

Another lovely day beckons and maybe rather than worry about my spinning wheel I should go for a walk.

The Sentience Bill for animals 2022

12 comments:

  1. We had some ingredients type meals that Tamzin wanted to trial (Gousto - she'd have had them all the time as it was Exciting Menus). I looked on it more like faff, and agree, enough ingredients to feed an Army, and although most were nice, I soon got fed up with high end cooking. I like to do a meal that I have been doing for many years and don't have to look at a recipe for.

    Shame your spinning wheel is not co-operating. The Makery will surely be able to help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Jennie. I like cooking things I know about, having to consult a recipe step by step is unnecessary work but the young seem to like this 'new invention'. It makes money and employment for someone anyway.

      Delete
  2. Even without a cape or any super-powers, David Attenborough is still a super-hero to many and fully deserves recognition for his quiet and persuasive arguments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Through my social media, I see elephants being rescued in Africa, dogs and moon bears rescued from terrible fates in Asia and even a Sentinence Bill for animals being passed in this country. Attenborough is at the head of the charge for making sentinent beings having their own rights, he is a hero John.

      Delete
  3. It's about time they beatified Sir David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is already a human saint Tom;) but he took on the job late on in life to save the Earth.

      Delete
  4. Your meals sound interesting and different than what I might cook. If we lived next door we could exchange casseroles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like casseroles Tabor, my cooking here is for younger people and their tastes. One thing I do dislike is takeaway meals though.

      Delete
  5. I no longer cook as my carer does my catering. I can't say I really miss it and she does super salads,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think as we get older Pat, the need for highly spiced food recedes somewhat rapidly. The Aga cooks well even though there is no regulation of heat. The only problem is with cooking, either my granddaughter sitting on the bar or having to step over the dog on his blanket, who is always snuggled up to it.

      Delete
  6. I am so pleased to learn of Sir David's award!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shame about the spinning wheel, hope you get it working soon. Is that really true about whales? Are they really recovering?

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!