Sunday, August 7, 2016

Sunday



There is a walk I take that is along the road to Salton.  We went to capture in a photo the cows and their calves in the field, but they had all mysteriously disappeared, perhaps to fields behind the farmhouse.  Long and straight it stretches to the bend where we turn round, should a a car come along you have to get on the grass verge. 
I go past the small village green, which has a dip in it, maybe at some stage there was a pond there, the little chapel fronts on to it.



amongst this tangle of greenery below is the river, running over rocks and making that gentle soothing noise/

'Beware of the Bull' sign, bet there hasn't been a bull in that field for years!

Looking up to Hill Top farm





A walk is a peaceful undertaking, the Archbishop of York Setamu is to make a pilgrimage round a part of Yorkshire, and also this year my hero Satish Kumar is also making  another  pilgrimage, part of his video 'Earth Pilgrim' is here.
Walking clears the mind, which in turn becomes part of the world around you, the swallows flying overhead, the sparrows busy in the hedgerow, a bumble bee resting on a thistle, each is part of their own world but you merge caught up in a picture that is timeless.  It will be repeated each season, every living organism will have changed and yet will rely on  last season's detritus. A North American Indian chief once blessed every blade of grass for being what it was, we have lost all that....

Two books to keep an eye on;

1) The Long, long Life of Trees by Fiona Stafford.  Out 16th August, though pricey at £16.99

2) Jenny Uglow - A Little History of English Gardening

6 comments:

  1. I am not sure that all of us have lost all that Thelma. Like you I find a walk one of my favourite things. Even from early childhood, when my father and I used to walk the lanes (no longer there, all covered in housing estates) and look for wild flowers, a walk has been my favourite activity. When I could walk round our fields my dog and I would do so every day after lunch - clear the mind, often think about absolutely nothing - perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started as a child, either with a dog or on horseback, the magic never leaves you, I think it is more difficult though to explore in some areas than others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A pretty walk, and I loved the photo of the Codlins and Cream at the end (I have lots growing in my garden too, I pretend they are garden plants although they dwarf everything else!) I need to try and get walking daily again but we have been so busy all summer and August looks set to be even worse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I suppose it is good to be busy with work as long as it does not affect your health. You have such a beautiful area to go walking as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful place for a relaxing walk. You are right about the value of walking I think. We take a long quiet walk each evening after supper. Walking enables a person (forces them almost) to be aware of what nature is doing, in ways that can't be done from inside a car. I like your comment about how there is a continuity to living things, even though they're changed or seemingly replaced as the seasons advance. I enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for that.Yorkshire is of course very beautiful, and there is plenty of landscape change as well, whether in the dales or on the moor, we live in the Pickering Vale, which is extensively farmed, but it is just a few miles to such places as Rosedale and Lastingham.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!