Friday, October 19, 2018

So the day begins



I took this picture from the en-suite window in the guest room last night, it was Harvest Festival at the church.  Jo had made a beautiful display of fruit and branches of red-berried cotoneaster in the porch, and the church was filled with chrysanthemums, and lilies.  I had thought of going, if only for the ritual of harvest, but my brain intervened I could not go and sing about a bountiful god, when all this summer the farmers had gone through the village with trailers piled high with straw and hay.  But I still love the church building ;)

Why do I mention the guest room, well my son and friend, who is driving, comes down today for the weekend.  How do I entertain two city boys in the country, think a drive over the moors might be called for.  It is a weekend of joy and trepidation, this because my daughter has to go for a test this morning at the hospital, we are both hoping that the results will not be serious.

We always have trouble of fitting a family into our current situation of staying overnight, two of the bedrooms, one is a workroom, the other a study, leaving one guest room for visitors, there are always settees of course but still.

Yesterday Paul and I, and of course Lucy, went to collect crab-apples.  It was a perfect day, the sun shone and it was still.  The crab apple tree shone gold in the sun, laden with apples.  Paul had come to keep an eye on Lucy, deaf and wilful, she takes off in the field threatening to go down the fox hole or disappear into the river, which is not very deep at the moment.

6 comments:

  1. I hope that your daughter's test results show nothing nasty. A worrying time for you all the same.

    Hoping you have our sunshine so you can keep your city guests entertained.

    Are you making crab apple jelly now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I shall after they have gone, it was such a beautiful day yesterday for collecting. And yes I am worried about the test for Karen, but she is going to keep me informed today, F/B is so easy for this.

      Delete
  2. I love the photograph Thelma.
    Hope the news for your daughter is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well she said there seemed to be nothing sinister going on, but that a further test was needed.

      Delete
  3. Hope it's good news about your daughter Thelma.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it doesn't seem too bad, will wait for the result of the second test. My head is completely exhausted by Ephraim though!

      Delete

Love having comments!