Thursday, April 25, 2019

Miscellany

We are still awaiting rain, I need to put some shrubs in and beans in the large bags I bought, problem is they take up a lot of soil.  One method is to use the turves taken up for the new bed, but growing stuff in bags will be an interesting experiment.  I have seen vertical growing as well, mostly salads but have used up most of the south wall of the house with herbs and the bags.  

Looking out of the window this morning and I saw the goldfinch that have been hanging around these last few days.  The bantams lay every day at the moment, feeding well and trotting round the garden without a care, though I would like them to have some care with the tulips, which get flattened under dust baths. In the photo you can see a sign for the forge, this was indeed the site of the old forge, but a deserted bungalow now sits on the plot, weirdly the owner has not lived there since we moved here, but in summer will spend an hour or two sitting outside.  What is the story?



I am inordinately proud of my last weaving effort, which though small is a tea towel and has a number of mistakes, I eventually hung it up for use. Its the yellow one of course.  Weaving is so calming, at least it is after you have warped, which tends to make me ill, think it has something to do with my middle ear.



My other efforts are not bad, but I realise I do not have the precise stitch that a shaft loom has, but I am not going down that road, having owned one in the past and not able to use it - I needed lessons of course.  So my work will follow a more abstract turn;)

Someone the other day moaned about the packhorse bridge one has to travel over to  Malton, single vehicle as it was in the olden days when carriages and carts used them.
It reminded me of the 18th carriage roads that lead to Castle Howard, magnificently lined with old trees now, and just as narrow, as they go under castellated mock walls.




4 comments:

  1. I love that wonderful carriage road - how grand one must feel riding down that to one's castle/house at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took a long time if horses were involved.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could make up a story about the owner of the Old Forge Bungalow and the bloody events that occurred there but you would probably say I was also mad, like the last village blacksmith. What was going on in past centuries when the landed gentry had so much extra money that they could change the landscape? Didn't they pay taxes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well we are still trying to get taxes from the ric! Good book on the subject just come out 'Who Owns England' Guy Shrubsole, figures suggest that quite a lot of the land is in only a few hands, you can start from the Queen, through Prince Charles and then the landed gentry and then of there is hedge funds (apt) and of course people from other countries. We should all by rights be entitled to an acre of land! Actually the village butcher operated in a brick shed on our garden when it was a field, been digging up bricks this afternoon as I try to put in some shrubs.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!