Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Tuesday 9th April



The sun comes up on the East wall of the church, a tracery of branches.  The trees are very slowly coming into leaf, but that tracery of branches and twigs holds the shape of the birds, so that you must guess from their outline what they are.  Yesterday a raggedy crow came down his feathers hung in tatters around him, his beak white and large.  He was like some venerable old god.   I bought peanuts for the squirrels yesterday, and so left them on the little table, and sure enough they were found.  People call them tree rats sadly, an alien foreigner ;), it is true they are disrupting the life of our indigenous red squirrel but hate them, no I don't think so and it is a thin time of the year for them.
And you know those old blackened bananas in the fruit bowl, don't throw them out but unpeel them and leave in the garden for the butterflies..... F/B tip


Remember that hole they dug opposite the gates on Friday, well the weekend came and went and nothing happened, and another two days have passed.  We have traffic lights working but nought else!

 Image may contain: plant
Claude Joseph Bail (French painter) 1862 - 1921

Still-Life with Flowers in a Glass jug, Silver Sugar Bowl, Fork, Spoon and a Peach, 1887 
oil on canvas .


Pretty isn't it, the paleness of the colours, the floppy peach and the elegant fork and spoon.  I have been looking at a local artist she is exhibiting at Scampston Hall till June.  She has painted all round here, Staithes, Robin Hood Bay, Lastingham, etc and her prints are quite cheap...

6 comments:

  1. Love that gentle water colour and yet, in complete contrast, I love those Venetian ones on the site you suggested. Venice - my favourite place. Did you see the recent programme on Venice going back several centuries - wonderful. I can't remember what it was called but I watched it on iplayer - there is one on Naples in the same series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I did not see the series, I have been to Venice once, again cities and towns are not my thing, though of course it was an experience and very beautiful.

      Delete
  2. I've been looking at things like that today at an antiques fair I went to with a friend in London.
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think people are very brave to go to London, it always terrifies me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the same about London Thelma - haven't been for years.
    Regarding Venice, I wouldn't wish to go now - all those giant cruise ships pusing their way through and all the crowds. I have been many times with my first husband but took David once and it was flooded and we walked on duck boards. There was a mile long queue to get into San Marco and all in all he was not impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pat, the world has become to crowded, especially with those great cruise liners that dwarf everything else. Venice was very hot when we went, and I never got to go on a gondolier!

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!