Thursday, April 4, 2019

Thursday 4th April



Six little lambs, gamble and jump on the bank, I watch them from the back bedroom entranced by their sheer energy and wonderment at the world.  Rachel their owner has marked them in blue with letters from the alphabet, Z for Zebedee comes to mind.  See how the hawthorn above them has broken into leaf, the blackthorn is covering the hedgerows with its blossom.
I should choose some Pollyanna poem but cannot though I am intrigued by so called Celtic poetry, someone, I think Kenneth Jackson comes to mind as a translator, but for now it will be Amergin's poem, as translated someone called Michael Burch and not Robert Graves, who wrote 'The White Goddess' when celticism was at a high peak in 1948.


The Song of Amergin II

a more imaginitive translation by Michael R. Burch, after Robert Bridges

I am the stag of the seven tines;
I am the bull of the seven battles;
I am the boar of the seven bristles;

I am the wide flood cresting plains;
I am the wind sweeping deep waters;
I am the salmon swimming in the shallow pool;

I am the dewdrop lit by the sun;
I am the fairest of flowers;
I am the crystalline fountain;

I am the hawk shrieking after its prey;
I am the demon ablaze in the campfire ashes; 
I am the battle-waging spearhead;

I am the vale echoing voices;
I am the sea's roar;
I am the rising sea wave;

I am the meaning of poetry;
I am the God who inspires your prayers;
I am the hope of heaven;

Who else knows the ages of the moon?
Who else knows where the sunset settles?
Who else knows the secrets of the unhewn dolmen?




4 comments:

  1. Beautiful poem - I love it. And the lambs.
    Yes we are certainly getting a 'Blackthorn winter' at present.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think the original comes from 11th century Irish annals, pretty dramatic in those times as well! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your header really caught my attention as its truth is overwhelming. So live to close to the ghosts of history must be inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is definitely not frightening ;) Pullman stories have their humans teamed up with an animal, a spiritual 'daemon' which has always rather tickled my fancy;)

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!