Sunday, April 7, 2019

Sunday thoughts - Anthem


Forget your perfect offering

There is a crack, 

That's how the light gets in






Though the clouds are grey, this song/poem went through the radio this morning from Leonard Cohen, and he sparked a thought.
Are you a 'baby boomer'? do you feel that you have lost your way, probably living in  very secure financial retirement?  No I am not selling anything, it was a troll remark I saw on another blog.  Young person, castigated the blog older person as someone who had destroyed the lives of the younger generation, and went on to sneer in a particularly loathsome manner about care homes.
It made me think.  The youth of the 60s bound up with their daydreams of a perfect world had somehow unwittingly destroyed their world because of a need to have everything.  Look at the media for a start, did you get your weekend papers full of expensive clothes and furniture, of foods that come from far and wide to create another Yotam Ottelenghi recipe.  Tell you one thing for nothing you can't buy them in Yorkshire ;).  Now we are all in a blind panic about Brexit and the economy going belly-up.  Of course the need is created by the older generation who have decent money to spend, our young have to catch up pretty quickly to get their dosh to spend.  
So which world would you rather be living in? the 60s, as the floods broke and people began to feel carefree, or now, burdened by guilt as our young turn round and snarl at us?

You know I always see the funny side of things! it comes of being old...

and then this later on this morning from Paul, 


Kintusgi is the ancient Japanese technique of repairing broken tea bows with gold. Re; "There is a crack, a crack in everything... that's how the light gets in."



Image result for cracked and gilded Japanese tea bowls


The art of precious scars

5 comments:

  1. And I will answer myself here. Paul has just said it was probably the 80s that done it. 'Laissez-faire' capitalism. to quote.....

    "The physiocrats, reacting against the excessive mercantilist regulations of the France of their day, expressed a belief in a "natural order" or liberty under which individuals in following their selfish interests contributed to the general good. Since, in their view, this natural order functioned successfully without the aid of government, they advised the state to restrict itself to upholding the rights of private property and individual liberty, to removing all artificial barriers to trade, and to abolishing all useless laws." 19th century

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that bowl and the sheer beauty of the repair job. It says a lot about what is going on at present. All we can really do is wait and see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like its colour, we have an expensive gallery in Kirkbymoorside and there is always plenty to choose from.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of kintusgi and that bowl is beautiful because of its imperfection. I am happy that I grew up in the sixties but if I had been a year or two older I would have seen The Beatles perform at The ABC Cinema in Hull on October 16th, 1964. Because I was just eleven my parents wouldn't let me go. It still rankles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well being a bit older I got to see The Rolling Stones before they became famous at Eel Pie Island in London. My only claim to fame!

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!