Saturday, April 6, 2019

Saturday 6th April



There is not much to talk about here.  Traffic lights and a large hole have appeared in the road opposite our gate.  It's the water people they may be removing the stag pipe that has been there before piped water came to the houses.  All I know is that Nelson will be deprived of his water, he has an irritating new dog that barks all the time as well.
A tragedy happened next door which resulted in all the police and ambulance last week, it has effected us strongly.  A young man hung himself from a tree, obviously emotionally disturbed took that terrible decision to end it all.  The news is all round the village now and life goes on.  He has a busy time our vicar, I had sent him an email a few days ago about another death in the village so he has to do his spiritual round here now.
In all this I have worried about the widower but a friend came yesterday and said that other people were at the property.  As for the young man, he had tried before to kill himself, I cannot imagine the depths of despair that leads someone to do such a terrible thing but I feel for the family in their loss.
Well I have been busy, weaving, not very well but I sit quietly in my craft room, with music, the small loom balanced on my knee, back and forth goes the shuttle.
And of course the political news journeys through from one ear to the next.  Naked Extinction Rebellion (they were'nt really naked from head to foot) people in the Houses of Parliament,  water leaking from the ceiling, votes that were equally balanced.  It is like Alice in Wonderland gone mad in this country.  But having deprived myself of the Newstateman for the last 6 months, the first came yesterday, and now I am reading an article about how some of the early nature writers were far right and in favour of the Nazi regime, there is so much reading to do I am sure I will never catch up.
At the top is a photo of what our village was once like, I cannot credit that we have moved so fast into this last century from a time when everyone worked on the land - it is scary!


The village as it is today, full of retirees and people who work in York, surrounded by neat fields but no wild flowers.


6 comments:

  1. My husband and I grew up in rural New England, a place and time of small family farms, many that had been passed down through several generations. In some areas,hay fields have become housing developments; on my grandfather's farm pastures have become stands of brush and small trees. I can't think we are the better for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The world changes Sharon, there are more people to feed, and what looks like an idyllic scene can often hide poverty. But then people had the closeness of community in these small farms, so I am totally with you.

      Delete
  2. A young man quite near where I live took his own life about a year ago - his parents are still devastated. Sometimes the pressures on people - young and older - just get too much to bear. It is all so sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Young men are nearly always more ready to commit suicide than young girls, I suspect because the female race release more of their emotions.

      Delete
  3. Suicide is devastating and more so with the young. I worry about it with our grandson who is suffering from depression. It often makes no sense to us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is scary Rain, I remember having to combat depression with my son, do hope your grandson grows out of it.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!