Friday, September 27, 2019

Friday 27th September

A couple of days ago I had a particularly vivid nightmare causing me to get up from my bed half-asleep.  It resulted in a fall against a chair and some stunning bruises. Scary at the time it requires some thinking.  Such events have happened before, often Paul with second sight would grab me, but that has gone.

Nightmares that make you physically move are a bit worrying, my worst nightmare is someone standing in the corner of the room, a malign influence that lurks. Japanese art depicts ghastly gods, and there is also  evil type demons which are called 'hungry ghosts'.  Illustrations are particularly foul.

But I shall talk about a living nightmare that we are all going through at the moment.  I read this morning that Boris Johnson's sister has already criticised him for his badly worded speech in the House of Common when he came back from abroad.  I don't know what to make of it all, a constant tirade of vehemence from the parliamentarians is not likely to inspire confidence.  All this nit-picking does not help us towards an answer.  I am probably one of the people, a remainer, who will adjust to being a leaver, accepting the vote for what it is.  I do not see any point with second referendums.

Castle Combe, Wiltshire

What worries me is the small-mindedness of those who want to leave living in a fantasy land of 'Olde England'.  It just will not happen like that, we love our history, (for that is what it is) we play with old cars, steam engines, fabulous large estate that unfortunately underlined a wicked system of poverty on the many and riches for the few.  In the real world it is our young who will inherit this world, they are already on the streets campaigning for  an actual world to live in, without it being destroyed by all the outward show of capitalism and consumerism, both words which could be neatly tied together as one.

Above I have found a photo of the pretty touristic joys of England.  Castle Combe, not too far away is Lacock Abbey also in Wiltshire.  In the village you will find the museum for Henry Fox Talbot, who  pioneered the first processes of photography.  A clever man in his time, multi-talented Victorian you might say.

 Do we still have the drive and fervour of the Victorian Age I wonder?

Lacock Abbey


6 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your fall Thelma. I am all for a second referendum but I realise that it would not solve everything. The back biting would continue. We deserve one because many older people have died since June 2016 and many young people have now reached voting age. Also, the public now have a clearer view of what Brexit will mean for our economy. 17.4 million citizens voted to leave in 2016 but 48 million didn't!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you go to a doctor about your nightmares and maybe he can suggest something you can do about them.

    Explosive politics is an everyday headline. It is hard to escape and stress over it takes too much from us. The U.K. and US are going through very difficult days and one has to wonder where all this will lead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We do romanticize the past. Just saw Downtown Abby and wondered about how rose colored a few of the times that is was. At least is proposed some criticism of a monarchy system. We on the other side of the pond are also going through a nightmare.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about the fall and the bruises Thelma. The last few months must have left you in turmoil and I do feel for you having been there not so long ago myself. As to the goings on in Westminster - I have had to stop listening because that too was making me in a turmoil. I just hope that common sense prevails before long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our political situation in the US is similarly frustrating--seemingly more about personalities, vendettas and drama than dealing with pressing down to earth issues.
    I have sometimes had nightmares that jolt me awake with heart pounding as though I had been running from some malevolence. It helps to have phrases I can silently repeat to myself until I am calmed--in my case, words from the Psalms, but I expect others might choose a different mantra. Through Paul's work you've had much exposure to the 'evil spirits' represented in Japanese art and mythology--there are types of reading matter, films, thoughts that I cannot explore--too vulnerable to suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a horrid thing to happen in the night. Keith's mum used to have vivid nightmares and after Pop had died, went to sleep with a pillow at her back to stop her rolling onto her back, as she said that's when she had bad dreams. Dunno if there's any proven fact in that, but worth trying?

    When I am stressed I get recurring nightmares - one used to be a tidal wave (overwhelmed I suppose) but not had that for a while. Another one is selling this house and I open a door and there is a gigantic wing which is ruinous and about to fall down, and is so threatening. The worst by far was the ghost which was trying to take over my body - I could feel it merging into my back. Imagine my absolute horror when that one came to pass when I was at Breamore House with Trish, some years ago, went into what I thought was a pleasant room until I reached the end, and there was a very cold feeling behind me - what a draught I thought, and moved away from the window, only to have the "draught" follow me and begin to merge into my body, just like my nightmare. I was out of THERE I can tell you!

    We went to Lacock on our Wedding Anniversary, some years back now. A lovely place and of course the village very familiar from period dramas!

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!