Sunday, September 8, 2019

Sunday 8th September

David Inshaw - Silbury Hill on a Starry Night


It is Sunday, and even though things are not good I will write at least something.  There are three things that have reminded me of the past this morning.
Firstly a comment from Tabor on my other blog came through, it mentioned the date of the first hospital visit in May, somehow at the time I had just put that blog elsewhere.
Secondly, a message on F/B from an old friend of my son had got in touch trying to find his email.  Tien is Chinese, he lived with his family by the Costume Museum in Bath.  A bright and intelligent lad, he had come up to Mark on his first visit to Beechen Cliff School, and chatted away and they had become firm friends, so many years ago.  It brought back memories of him coming through the front door, dashing up to the kitchen for hot water for his noodles and then down into Mark's bedroom where they became engrossed on the computers.
I led a busy life, two dogs, two cats, Mark and his friends and language students from Bell School down Weston Lane.  The front door was always open, and I was always answering the phone (no mobiles for me) for a strange assortment of people overseas.  I enjoyed having young people around though they would also exhaust me.  They came from Brazil, France, Germany, Italy and Spain, even the outer edges of Russia. (You can see why I am a Remainer)  I was a good host as far as the language school was concerned. Those from Arab countries had money to blow in Bath and the one from Switzerland will live in my memory forever, but that is another story.
The third happening was on Tom Stevenson's blog about the Brotherhood of Ruralists, a group of artists who had at first lived in the old railway station at Wellow,



 I had written in rather a perfunctory way on my other blog site.  What caught my attention was Tom had headed it Ophelia, well if you walked down the lane, just outside Wellow, to the Stoney Littleton barrow, one of my escapes when life got too hectic.  You would have to cross the bridge over Wellow Brook which would have the ideal place to paint the famous painting by Millais 'Ophelia'.




3 comments:

  1. Absolutely right Thelma - Ophelia is definitely missing from that photograph. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pat, the news on my beloved Paul is very sad, perhaps I shall close down my blog for a time from tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. Dear Thelma,
    Please accept my sincere condolences now that the living Paul - the one you loved - has departed.
    Fond regards,
    Neil
    (Yorkshire Pudding)

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!