Monday, December 30, 2019

Monday 30th December 2019


I decided to take up crochet this year, so bought these two books to get some ideas.  Well 'Rainbow Crocheted Blankets' is the one I like, but.... she dyes the wool she uses, natural dyes no less.   Have decided one in the colour-ways red and some green, my choices are limited in terms of material, cochineal and madder for red, dyers weld for green, though playing around with the mordant copper can give you some pretty greens.   So some more spinning, I only have Downland wool, rather harsh compared to Blue faced Leicester wool, but it will have to do.
One problem is that ordering small items over the net, the price of what you order is small and the price of postage high. 
Last night the most fabulous sunset, you could almost believe in God when you looked up at the sky, Turner is the only person in my books who captured the sky.  My camera definitely does not, but I refuse to buy another.  Clouds dimple in their colour ways, which meld with such beauty.


I like the starkness of the built environment against the sky.  It reminds me of those black and white Victorian cut outs.




6 comments:

  1. What an amazing sunset - lovely photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All to do with English weather which changes daily!

      Delete
  2. At one time I used to crochet a lot and when my eldest grand daughter was christened I crocheted a fine wool blanket which was also used for the other two as well. It is now a long time since did any but I love the idea of dying the wool Good luck.
    We had that lovely sunset here too and today, although we have a chilly wind, there is a beautiful blue sky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sky was very blue but the accompanying sun made driving very difficult! Dyeing wool can be a hit and miss affair, at the moment my dye pot is full of chicken feed - it keeps the mice out.

      Delete
  3. I keep saying I'm going to learn, but it's still not happened. Arilx

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!