Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Tuesday 17th December

Gloomy fog is today's weather.  My son is staying for a few days.  Picked him up from the station yesterday and watched with horror as the people disgorged themselves from the train.  It looked like a London tube train, yes the new timetables and training of train drivers has hit most services  yesterday.  The board read 'cancellations' on every other train. Just to add to the fun the town of Malton was choc-a-block with traffic and diversion signs, the A64 going to Pickering was closed at the traffic island.  Welcome to the small island of Britain!

I can hear him showering next door, strange having someone around.  He should be showering in the 'en-suite' in the back bedroom, hate that word so pretentious.  But it is leaking somewhere and now a water stain decorates the ceiling underneath in the sitting room.  But my plumber is coming today to do something about it.

Feeding my family is not too hard, I made a chicken dish with lemon and sage yesterday and it reminded Mark of the creamy, lemony dish I did with rice.  Funnily enough that was my grandfather's dish and I haven't done it for ages, basically because I don't buy cream any more.  Today it will be salmon with sweet chilli sauce, red cabbage and new potatoes.  They also like my version of a pasty.......... which is basically bacon, onions, mushrooms, potatoes and herbs wrapped in puff pastry.  The real pasty has of course real beef and turnips?

The joke comes from the Cornish Pasty, the Ginster is apparently but a pale image of the real pasty.  See they can't spell tolerate, but then I get picked up countless times by the American version of my own language!



The other Cornish joke I picked up from a friend on F/B was this........


It of course refers to holiday homes that stay empty for much of the year, forcing the youngsters to stay in the towns and unable to afford the houses in Cornwall....

10 comments:

  1. Interesting to read about your make-it-without-thinking recipes. Mine are mainly curry, chicken or mince-based (though of course Keith won't eat curry or anything "messed about with"!!)

    We have gloomy fog here too. Tam has the dentists, so we will go with her to get some Kidneys for steak and kidney pie later this week, and the paper, and a wander round the shops whilst she is having her check up. Then back to Danny's quilt . . .

    That sign might be funnier if it wasn't horribly true. They used to burn holiday homes in Wales (before the advent of Air BnB which made a better option for empty ruins).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nowadays we can choose from risottos, curries, pasta dishes and goodness knows what, in the 'olden' days, roast on Sunday went through the week in various disguises. Much simpler. I remember the days of the Welsh burning holiday homes sold to the wicked English, they don't seem so fierce in Cornwall and it is sad that youngsters can't get into the property market.

      Delete
  2. Lovely that your son is home for a while.

    Best wishes with the plumbing. -sigh-

    Ahhh yes, how places become so expensive, with the influx of "The Rich." Children of long time people, can not afford to buy/build homes, in the places, they grew up.

    Same here! We had a nice small city. The Rich "discovered" it. They moved here 'in droves.' Pushed up the real estate prices.

    And then, want to "change it", via the voting booth.

    It's not *Perfect* enough, for them.

    -sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhh-

    🎄🌲🎄🌲🎄

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suppose in the end it is called progress, and it is up to the young people to demand the world they want. Mark, my son is staying till the end of the week, and we shall probably do a trip to Castle Howard tomorrow. Then my daughter and grandchildren come over the weekend. The shower is mended thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oddly we are having shrimp curry tonight. I have to use up some frozen shrimp and some coconut cream.

    ReplyDelete
  5. we have the world at our feet as far as cooking goes. I like the way coconut enhances a curry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My grandson and his partner come tomorrow for three days (one is vegetarian, one not)so I shall try to be a bit more inventive with the food. When one lives alone and eats out quite a lot it is easy not to bother on the other days. However, the fridge is full to bursting after today's shop and first thing in the morning I shall make a pan of vegetable and pearl barley soup to eat garlic bread. I shall see how it goes after that. Your food sounds brilliant - like the sound of some of those recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well in our family because of the Swiss influence, fondue can also be a family lunch on Xmas day. There is another dish called a raclette, where you melt cheese on to potatoes and have sourish pickled vegetables, never found the cheese in this country though. My favourite Xmas dinner though is all the vegetables, yorkshire puddings and a stuffing/nut roast which I make.

      Delete
  7. Your dinner sounds delicious, Thelma. I’m sure it is nice to have your son around for a few days, and then company on the weekend. You will be a busy lady in the best of ways.

    We Americans don’t have an accent, we have many accents, some quite nice and others atrocious. I worked hard on getting rid of my New York accent and I think I have been successful. However, drinking a glass of wine will bring it back very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well it wasn't the accent, though there are plenty in this country, it was the spelling I get pulled up on. 'U's and 'L' frequently occur. Now funnily enough, as there has always been mass emigration from this country to Australia and America in the past, maybe they have the right spelling!

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!