Wednesday, January 29, 2020

29th January 2020

Yesterday I wrote a blog about my past life which I then withdrew because I do not like being unhappy, so today I will write about usual things. 
Yesterday was the conclusion of selling tickets for the Carvery meal tomorrow, Thursday, a sigh of relief for me.  We now have the numbers and most of the money, Harriet will now roast the meats and two vegetarian meals, her delicious lasagne, of which I will have one.  I am trying to get people to email as well, and it slowly produced results.  Jo never reads the emails and I went round to her yesterday, she was out working in her garden. It was freezing cold and she chatters non-stop, but she has Iris reticulata coming out, so for all those who are despairing of winter never ending, daffodils are push through the earth, and all the spring flowers are happily erupting above ground, and I even saw a photo with tulips pushing through the snow, which is on the high ground up here in the North.
Went into Kirkbymoorside yesterday, to drop a cheque of at the post office, they offer a generous service of forwarding cheques to the banks.  I can't praise the Post Office enough for being there for all those people who are unable to travel to far off banks, now that they have closed local branches.  Also for a prompt postal service, ordered wool on Friday and it arrived the next day.
After that, to pick up my fairly newly bought Vax vacuum cleaner, which had a problem.  Thankful for our local shop which mends things, and sells white goods.  After that, a shop at the Coop, staggering back with the heavy stuff, which included  a lot of vegetables and fruit.
A last call at the farm depot to get some dog biscuits for Lucy, her 'lite' biscuits were not there but apparently you can buy 'lite' type biscuits for working dogs who have put on weight.  Why? was my first reaction if they are working.  But decided Lucy had never worked in her life, so 'Senior' would have to do..
And now for that which seems to be in the news.  Firstly, Wuhan, someone put a lovely photo of a Chinese bed in Wuhan, and the realisation that the world over we are all the same, but by just appearing in the news the word Wuhan will always remind us of that nasty virus we are all panicking about.
Secondly, Huawei, the new system of 5G network that everyone is saying we should not have but apparently is already established, and it would be an expensive undertaking to change.
And thirdly, a Chinese artist I do not understand Weiwei, millions of sunflowers, or...........................

Bang 2013 Ai Weiwei
So I go back to an old friend, who always makes me smile....



16 comments:

  1. Looking at Bang 2013 by Ai Weiwei, I cannot help thinking that people could be sitting on those stools - perhaps in a school science room or a bar. I was also left wondering what the deleted post contained and whether or not your readable account of ordinariness was just a curtain. Have a nice day Thelma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually the melancholia was brought on by Auschwitz memorial service and how i had some Jewish blood. How much I do not know but my grandchild Matilda would calculate very well;). She always made Paul gasp with astonishment at her ability to work things out. Not forgetting the locked briefcase he put on the bed,and the girls opened it immediately. Looking at him with some female scorn that knows the working of men's minds - we knew it was your birthday numbers!

      Delete
  2. I love your upbeat post today Thelma - looking forward not backward. I know how just how you feel. Spring is poking through here and there in my garden too. I have a couple of hellebores our, a few snowdrops and the leaves of iris reticulata (so far). Odd flowers on other things here and there. Another month or so and we should be able to smell Spring in the air. Having been where you are now a couple of years ago I do agree that there is no point in looking back on what might have been. Wish we lived near enough to meet half way for a coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "We cannot stay here, some say
      And in the night they walk away."

      To produce their children another year. This was the end two lines of a poem by Colin Blanchard of a print of snowdrops, and it has always seemed a pity to see the flowers disappear, but we are given eternal hope they will always be there. One day I will try and make it to Leyburn, a coffee shop that welcomes dogs of course.

      Delete
  3. I was lucky enough to catch your deleted post. It was fascinating and quite moving, although I agree that memoir can be very difficult (even if you're Karl Ove Knausgaard). I'm not yet ready for some of the things I'd like to write about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know Knausgaard ;) but I have put it back up, under this blog, because childhood makes you they say. Luckily I have a sense of humour which sees the foolishness of getting too caught up navel watching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read your post yesterday and saw it as simply a record of your childhood. The last thing I would have considered was the idea you were complaining! And so I wrote a comment only to have Blogger tear it in half and toss it back. At that point I realised you had taken your post down.
    Undaunted I will maybe recall my comment and try again.
    I often read your blog and enjoy your thoughts for the day.
    Alphie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about that we make judgements on what we write and then feel a hundred eyes are taking stock, and we flee in terror ;)

      Delete
  6. Your posts are always lovely and balanced. You speak your truth and it resonates with your readers.

    Our winter has been abnormally (the word for these times) warm and not only is my Autumn garden still in bloom, I am seeing buds on some bushes. We have had little snow and mostly temperatures above freezing but I fear Mother Nature is going to get us soon and hopeit won’t be too harsh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather is so different all over the world. Bird song is getting more prolific as well, and the darkness lifts day by day very gradually. But it is freezing in this part of Yorkshire.

      Delete
  7. I am so impressed by China after my trip to China. They are a force to be reckoned with and we seem to think they are monolithic, but like the U.S. composed of many different groups and beliefs and desires. They are people too suffering and succeeding.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very true, they have also made great strides in the last few years. Perhaps we should study them more, I did enjoy your blog on the trip you took there as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can always rely on Thelwell!

    I'm glad you enjoyed seeing the photograph of the bed. I think it formed part of a very old wedding dowry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, you notice I chose a thin Thelwellian pony not a plump little creature throwing his heels up into the air.
    I thought your daughter-in-law and son made a handsome couple and perhaps at the moment it is a good thing they live down the road from you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think January brings out glum thoughts - I for one am full of them at the moment. Perhaps the most gloomy is watching Keith (who is 11 1/2 years older than me and 79 now) slowing down - walking on the beach yesterday he was shuffling along like he was 99 . . . I am beginning to think "bungalow on edge of country town" thoughts for house-hunting and not place with character further out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The adjustment is hard Jennie, no stairs, small garden may seem the right place for you both but it is a difficult decision. I watched Paul over the last three months slowly fade away but before that the signs were all there. His illness of course was due to the alcohol he had drunk years ago and which he gave up over the last two years.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!