Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Wednesday 8th January - Quorn

Quorn;  One of those things vegetarians eat.  But be careful........... it can make you ill.  Twice over the Xmas period I have felt very sick after eating Quorn sausages, the second time confirmed that they were not for me. This was the first time I had eaten Quorn.

Mycoprotein, the novel ingredient in Quorn-brand frozen meat substitutes that’s made from processed mold (Fusarium venenatum), can cause serious and (possibly, even fatal) allergic and other reactions.

Many years ago, one of our extended family had done the PR on marketing this stuff.  It involved walking round the factory, he came back and said, never, ever eat that stuff, you should see how they make it!  So I never did till this Christmas when I popped a bag of cocktail sausages into the basket.

Though the manufacturer’s  advertising and labeling implies that the product is “mushroom protein” or “mushroom in origin,” the mold (or fungus) from which it is made does not produce mushrooms. Rather, the mold is grown in liquid solution in large tanks.

Normally my diet is based on vegetables, fruit, cheese, eggs and bread, plus nuts and seeds which I eat as snacks.  My stomach is not obviously geared to artificial foods, goodness knows when they grow meat in the laboratory what will happen.

Whoops. Artificial food is beginning to get a grip.  See George Monbiot

8 comments:

  1. Your diet sounds much like mine Thelma. I don't particularly like meat - it isn't that I object to eating it particularly - and I am partial to the odd streaky bacon sandwich for my tea. But salad things (especially beetroot) and all nuts and pulses I love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I forgot to put on my list is very occasionally fish and then of course chocolate ;)

      Delete
  2. We eat Quorn fairly often. I like the sausage rolls, and the mince and chunky versions for pies etc, but some sausages can be heavily flavoured, which I don't like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it works with some people and not with others. I hate mince either in meat or non meat form, so am quite happy to give it a miss.

      Delete
  3. I usually have Quorn products in my freezer for my daughters when they visit. I have now added the new Beyond Meats products. Beyond Meat taste better because of the texture, and I use it for chili and a few other dishes. I had the sausage for dinner last night but ended up giving it to My Retired Man. I would rather have something else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard of those new Beyond Meats, does it say what is in them? Soya was the original meatless filler I think. I shall stick to lentils from now on!

      Delete
  4. I avoid processed and over-processed foods as much as possible. Glad you did not get sicker!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty ill, stomach ache, hot and cold and sick. It was such a surprise though, thought at first I had food poisoning but it was just an allergic reaction.

      Delete

Love having comments!