Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Tuesday 7th January



The naming of roses

The world goes on, terrible bush fires in Australia, the assassination of a leader, we cannot do much but listen to the news.  Yet those who live in Australia are already thinking of how to help the animals out there.  One of my blogs has already given out this message....Sewers Who Can Sew Straight.....................

The photo above comes from my large box file of film photos which I was sorting today.  It is my birthday this week, I shall be 75, still basically healthy and in control of my senses - hopefully!  What I was doing was sorting out photos of myself through the ages.  As an aside we all know the 'Seven Ages of Man' but is there a complimentary female one?  I ended up with a lot of cute photos of a young Tom as well.
It gave me  a glimpse into my life, two marriages, two children and lots of wandering around by myself in the countryside, always with a dog at heel, never my family, who have always disliked country walks.  Eventually I will scan them on the printer, which somehow seems reluctant to do this.

The first turns up...A trip to Ireland with a friend called Barbara, we must have been about 18 years old.  I had an old mini van, and we toured Southern Ireland for a week. It was beautiful, remember two boys, no shoes, homemade trousers aggressively bullying me for money for taking photographs of their donkey.  What would I have done today? Or more importantly what would I have done then?


The thought came from this video I watched from somewhere, of  bustling London Streets I think made in 1967, and I remembered those short skirts in which to bend down was extremely difficult, also the thought weren't we all slim in those days.... Enjoy, because once a long time ago grand daughters your granny was young.  ;)







https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jan/04/australias-pathetic-pm-reveals-much-about-the-rights-efforts-to-deny-reality

14 comments:

  1. What a video! It's worth clicking the YouTube logo to see it full screen. Is it you in the photograph?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, though I worked in London, braving an hour long trip on the train from Chigwell. It is an extraordinar video though. It is quite interesting to compare with the Christine Keeler episodes on now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those were the days Thelma. You spread your wings much more than I did at that age - I was still living at home in the Lincolnshire Fens. I didn't manage to 'escape' until 1952

    ReplyDelete
  4. Escaping one's family was so much more difficult in those days, often only under the guise of marriage of course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That video looks like an intro to a movie. Also seems like time so long ago...longer than decades and more like centuries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I think the colour has been remastered Tabor. Not centuries surely? ;)

      Delete
  6. I was born and brought up in Dublin but we came to England for a week in 1967 to meet my brother’s future wife ( he had emigrated here in 1960 ) I headed straight for Biba! That video recalls it like it was yesterday. Such was the effect on me of Swinging England versus Suffocating Ireland that I emigrated here in 1970 age 22. Now Ireland seems a more liberal outward looking country by comparison yet England - for all its faults - has my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I went to Ireland, my car went on the boat by crane, always remember it swinging around on the quay. I think Ireland is beautiful but when I went of course it was different. Lovely to hear your memories by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I could go on!
    But that’s for a different day... xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those 60’s were so interesting and if we were able to get away from our parents, so freeing. I had my adventures, but then decided to get married. I wish, now, that I had a few more years to explore life when I was young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so weird looking at your younger self, the next will be a solitary trip to Greece. A 2lst birthday present, because 21 was the legal coming of age then, now 18, times do change.

      Delete
  10. I loved Biba. Only went once in person and thought I had arrived in heaven! Remember buying T shirts for my children (by post as we had moved to Suffolk to live). My first car was a Morris Traveller pale blue and I loved it. Love the black and white photo of young you. Thanks for the memories..Jan B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first car was a black Ford prefect, and then I went on to Minis, and then pride of place a little Austin Healey sports car. All bought by myself, independence was good in those days.. Never went to Biba sadly.

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!