Wednesday, October 21, 2020

'England what has become of you' Video

 

The Wild horses of Newbury

1996 and a new road paves its way across the landscape at Newbury, this video capturing the strong arm of the developers against the protestors.  The horses provide the magic.

2020 and the same story is being repeated across the country as the proposed line of HS2 rips through woods and the countryside and takes down the 250 years old Cubbington Pear tree

'England what has become of you' are the words of the video makers', young protestors, scruffy and in despair as they fight another battle.  HS2 has a long length, will the 'Swampys' of this world be able to make an impression?


'Stans' near Chelmsley Wood.  Before and After



 

7 comments:

  1. I despair Thelma - what has become of this green and pleasant land?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well a trite answer would be Conservatism and Capitalism, the sad fact is that most people think this so called fast track is not needed, the money could go into improving the rail services we already have, especially in the North.

      Delete
  2. I am so depressed about HS2. It makes me violent. The 250 year-old pear tree is just one tiny thing amongst many. And for what? 20 minutes off a 3 hour journey? I want to add more time onto my journeys before my time runs out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took about 200 men to chop own the Cubbington pear tree.

      Delete
    2. It is the trees that hurt people the most, remember the A46 and the youngsters in the trees. Naïve maybe, but at least they kept the road in the public eye.

      Delete
    3. That was the most expensive (by the running mile) piece of road built in Europe at the time. I usually use it most days, but I sometimes go through Batheaston just to piss the residents (who voted for it) off. I once spent a week or so honking my horn every time I had to negotiate one of their stupid speed-bumps - just to be on the safe side. When they first installed the humps they had them too high. They reduced the height because they were damaging their own cars, and they could not allow that to happen.

      Delete
    4. I suppose it can be classed under nimbyism the people of Batheaston wanting that rather useless (short) road. Speed bumps seem to do more damage to the car as well. We have in the next village, three, all close together, lane restrictions, which I am sure are more dangerous than before as there are bends before and after.

      Delete

Love having comments!