Saturday, October 10, 2020

Today

Small happenings;  Well Lucy went to the vets yesterday, nothing serious just to have a manicure, her nails were beginning to snaffle the carpet.  The vet took her off (reluctant), and came back twenty minutes later with the same shaggy version of her.  His opinion of her, that apart from a few bumps and plumpness she was doing  well. 

long time since she has been in that chair


Today I go for my flu jab in the afternoon, I never normally have one having caught every Asian type flu that has been around but not local flu.  My first bad bout of flu was as a child, and I was nursed for months at boarding school, the nuns keeping me alive but I emerged looking like a skeleton. All I can remember of that time was toast and Bovril drink.

Talking to a friend in the garden and we are both at a loss to see the end of this pandemic.  I have just read on F/B a blog about the gradual demise of a town here in Yorkshire. This of course has been happening over a period of time, the gradual change in the high street, and only yesterday Edinburgh Woollen Mills going under.  Some people are seeing a looming disaster, and though I find in blog land an attitude to sweep it under the carpet, I think it has to be aired!

Well yesterday, the post bought the Newstateman and the Lakeland brochure full of tempting things for Xmas, sometimes it is like living in two parallel worlds.  I also saw a letter which said that Waitrose was selling Autumn leaves for £6 a packet - is that true?

Well I did spy a Raclette maker in Lakeland, though where I shall find the proper cheese is another matter, though my daughter says Lidl has these things.  Opting for the cheaper version, which  is lit by tealights - A Xmas meal on my own ;)

I have boxed up some books and games for a charity shop, my mind is on moving to West Yorkshire eventually, but there are a lot of things to do before that happens. Not least the ending of the present situation................


8 comments:

  1. I wish we could sweep COVID-19 under the carpet along with bits of autumn leaves and old sweet wrappers. And come to think of it, let's sweep Johnson and Trump under there too. As tighter restrictions are coming, it is easy to feel down-hearted but some day...over the rainbow...all will be well once more. Won't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as we live long enough to see it;) My humour can be dark so don't take me too seriously, I am an optimist. But I will require the scientists and the people on the streets to furnish me with real truths. As for our leaders, Trump is a ragbag of dangerous nonsense and Johnson needs to stop being a wordy liar and concentrate on truth - it doesn't hurt. Hopefully you looked at Gullwing's photos which are dire but regeneration does provide jobs.

      Delete
  2. I wish YP hadn't put a question mark at the end of that last sentence - things really do look pretty dire at present don't they? Like you I am thinking of Chistmas Day alone - I shall go over and look at that Raclette - anything to make for a bit of excitement on the big day otherwise I shall feel like staying in bed with a book. I love the photograph of Lucy - she blends in well with the cushion. She has a rather accusatory look in her eye - or is it a look of guilt at being in that chair? Keep warm. It is pretty chilly up here today isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not really worried about Xmas day Pat, parcels will arrive, phone calls etc. Dipping bread, or vegetables in cheese is normally a shared experience, with sour gherkins or onions and tea/wine to wash it down is a family tradition. As for Lucy, she is hunkered down happily at home, but I think the vet and I agreed that she is getting old now. She was probably worried about the camera focussed on her. And yes it is cold.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And the good news is, Lucy has a reasonably clean bill of health. Good for you, getting the flu shot. The word here is, it's one less virus to worry about if you've had the jab.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes Lucy, though getting old, is pottering around healthily, must be all the vegetables and fruit she crunches through. Confession, I did not go for the jab, parking of car, bad weather and laziness stopped me;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had my first ever flu jab about 3 weeks ago and although they warned my upper arm might be sore, I'm surprised it still hurts a bit if I lie on it in bed.
    Those picture of Darlington are disturbing. I know about Dewsbury which is not far from where we live. Other northern towns too. So much for the powerhouse. Pedestrianisation has often been a disaster - gangs of skateboarders keeping shoppers away.
    I'd willingly sell whole sackfulls* of autumn leaves for £6.
    *as we say here

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well there seems to be a quiet revolution going on from the Northern mayors, but it will take a miracle to get back to some sort of 'normality' for the towns. There are also motorised scooters to negotiate as well, what with motorised wheelchairs threatening one's ankles the pavements will be impossible for pedestrians!

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!