Sunday, May 23, 2021

23rd May 2021 - music






Music for Sunday, Leonard Cohen has been dismissed for his gravelly voice this morning and I have chosen Peter Gabriel's Solsbury Hill.  And yes there are definitely no eagles flying over the hill, though one day there might be!

I find the blog on which I recorded the link, such a long time ago, the steep climb up the lane to this magical Iron Age settlement, sometimes I hate to call them forts, more like defended settlements, but they existed all around our countryside, and the Cotswold ridge that folds down near Bath has plenty of examples.



And a very young Gabriel 'Shaking the Tree'.  I actually liked the version with Youssou N'Dour but the following video  has Gabriel and his band dancing.


This must have been round the time when Mark my son and Ephraim went off to Ghana for a year or so, and loads of photos came back from their trip there.  Which I still have on an external drive.

6 comments:

  1. Solsbury Hill is a song I'd like played at my funeral. That view is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dancing down the aisle Debby. The countryside round Bath is very beautiful and plenty of good walking.

      Delete
  2. I have heard these songs before but never knew the lyrics so I googled them. Enjoyable songs, Thelma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter Gabriel lives (or used to live) just outside Bath in a small village called Box, the songs are from that slightly naïve time of believing the world would get better.

      Delete
  3. Do you remember The Mead Tea Gardens? I had tea with Peter Gabriel there once and went through the whole thing without realising who he was. I almost asked him what he did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No I never went there but loved the beautiful scenic Catherine Valley lane drive. Never really explored that part, but along the old Fosse Way were the Three Shire Stone cromlech I can see them on this link on the Mead Gardens.
    http://www.themeadteagardens.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!