Friday, May 7, 2021

7th May 2021


 The Gods of the North are obviously stomping around somewhere.  Every morning waking up to ice and coldness is getting troublesome.  Put it down to Climate change, even Greta Thunberg cannot get rid of it.  Will we turn into one of those Northern countries, iced out of existence.  So I knit and crochet and curse my middle finger which is painful at the moment, I sliced a bit off on my mandoline slicer trying to imitate the potato dauphinoise Pat described.  I love this bit of kitchen miscellany, but it works so well and there you are slicing potatoes happily away and then your finger is there!

Finished my book on The Black Hill and looked up the word pastiche which seems the right word to describe Chatwin's writing, but nevertheless a cleverly written book.  There is a certain amount of analysis on the book, the twins in the book represents Chatwin's dual nature but I can't be bothered to go into the belly button contemplation that is so indicative of our modern society.

Shock and horror being expressed on the news, Labour has lost an important town, Hartlepool.  I am not surprised, Starmer as the 'safe' man definitely does not inspire.  One day, the 'South' will  stop dictating how this country is to be run and we will have a party that runs England in a sound manner.  Note I do not say the united countries of Great Britain, because they are all starting to pull away, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland - interesting times ahead.

Apart from feeling very down at the moment, I have also been watching the Scandi series The Killing, which does not help the mood. Dire, dark and snow everywhere and the plots are pretty nasty as well! ;)

Then of course there was this skirmish off Jersey.


16 comments:

  1. I was just thinking this morning how the weather controls my moods during this pandemic, as I happily slipped into shorts and a sleeveless t shirt (sorry). I really hope the north of England isn’t going to become an arctic waste, though they could I suppose give Hartlepool the contract for the ice breakers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you Jenny are enjoying 'perfect weather' in Italy. I am not jealous honest but snow is appearing on the high points of the Yorkshire moors. My mood is slowly starting to be more optimistic but the politics of this country is enough to make anyone despair.

      Delete
  2. I am steering clear of anything depressing at the moment. I had a day this week where I didn't feel very well, and was in an utter what's-the-point mood which is surprising considering how much I love it here. Even the crime novel I was reading was like stale bread . . . I shall put it down to a temporary haunting by the last owner, who was somewhat unbalanced and all the neighbours breathed a sigh of relief when she finally left! Every time we meet a new neighbour, they tell us how awful this woman was. Anyway, I was back to normal yesterday and today that beastly Siberian wind has gone back to where it belongs and it's warm and birdsongy here. (Not that it hasn't been wonderfully birdsongy for months).

    I read Bruce Chatwin years ago now. Must blow the dust off the first edition hardback copy I found at Carmarthen Free Books. Unfortunately they made a point of stamping every purchase with Carmarthen Free Books which completely took away its first edition value . . . Philistines.

    I'd say take a good walk, but it's still winter up with you so you will have to walk round and round the dining room table like the Bronte sisters did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I put it down Jennie to the fact that for every up there must be a down. Probably you have done too much in the house and garden. Quite interesting that the old owner was a bit mad and of course that this new house might be haunted.
    Funnily enough this morning, looked out of the window thinking about walking and there was this 50 feet? mobile home on the road outside, moving into next door alongside the river I think. Just been reading about 'Tiny Homes' so it was a funny coincidence.
    Listening to Phil Rickman at the moment, still love a dose of the paranormal and Merrily Watkins ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our spring is here but we have temperature ranges from 47 degrees F to 80 degrees F in one week and it seems to come back the next! My poor seedlings are so confused!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is rather drastic Tabor, but I suspect when the sun comes out it chases the cold away, not good growing weather though.

      Delete
  5. I agree - it is sad that we pull away and feel that is necessary for our future. The United Kingdoms of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is the full and correct term - and it says a lot about what we might be as much as what we are (not) at present.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Starmer is talking about moving from the South and up North but such changes won't make much difference. As separate countries, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, they have always fought for independence and walking away from Europe did not help.

      Delete
  6. It will be cool here for the foreseeable future. Frost warnings over night. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time of the year when we have to mollycoddle tomato plants, etc Debby but it seems very late here in England.

      Delete
  7. I think we are all getting to that stage Thelma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Pat we just have to buck up and get on with it....

      Delete
  8. I have a hard time making myself get out of bed some days, Thelma. But I have my daughter coming to visit for the weekend so that should lift my spirits. I hope we have some sun to celebrate!
    Hope you feel better...politics are depressing everywhere lately it seems!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you have a good weekend Ellen with your daughter, mine is not coming till June I think. Politics are depressing but interesting as well and of course confusing.

      Delete
  9. My broken leg hurts so much these cold mornings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds horrible Joanne, cold weather can be so miserable but we can at least look forward to a couple of months of summer weather.

      Delete

Love having comments!