Saturday, May 29, 2021

29th May 2021


lonicera periclymenum 'belgica' or the early Dutch honeysuckle

 I love this corner of the garden, next to come out will be the blue Ceonothus, or the Californian lilac, next to what I think is a 'mock orange'.  The honeysuckle has cascaded over the fence onto the hedging in front, creating that 'wild look' with the hawthorn shrubs.
It reminds me of Welsh lanes where the wild honeysuckle grew and will be a good memory.  I am losing the sight in one eye, and not sure how to proceed, first of course a visit to an optician next week but the thought of hospitals frighten me, and anything to do with eyes especially.
But today two visitors, my daughter and granddaughter will stay over the holiday period.  My daughter has already sent a photo of a clear test, which made me giggle.  Testing seems such a problem, it is a shame that our phone can't tell us if we clear or not, like my son's diabetic reading on his phone.  Though I believe they are creating an app to do this job.

Democracy:  Just a short hint on how to keep in touch with things.  There is a thing called Government Petitions, if you start one and it gets up to 100,000 signatures and over  the government has to address the petition and talk about it in Parliament.  Well I signed the  “End child food poverty – no child should be going hungry”:
And whilst it will not be carried through as it is a general debate,

"This was a general debate. General debates allow MPs to debate important issues, however they do not end in a vote nor can they change the law"

the discussion is interesting and the transcription can be read on Hansard here.

I think what it points to (as always), that the question of feeding our children has never been addressed properly, or in fact poverty, so that from decade to decade we lurch inadequately in a patchwork of schemes with no overall policy.

4 comments:

  1. I have signed a couple of those online petitions, but the trouble is that once you have signed one, you are bombarded with many others which you may not feel so strongly about. It is inevitable, I suppose, that the people who design the petitions want as much usage as possible for their product, but it can be a pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it just is I suppose. Will sign most animal petitions, it doesn't take long, but the petitioning of government demanding answers at least make sure the subject is discussed. And along with Animals are sentient beings, the practice of foie de gras and shark fins are off the menu ;)

      Delete
  2. Having taught for many years in inner city schools in poor areas this business of children and eating is one of my interests. I have so often seen children choose inadequate nutritional meals even when the right food is put in front of them. There is such a need for education - fruit and vegetables are often lacking but short of forcing children to eat them how can we change things?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a difficult one Pat, making children eat nutritious food, apparently in France they succeed. We ate what we had because those around demanded it and there was not much choice. Nowadays too much choice in the wrong things line the shelves perhaps we should address the supermarkets on that one.

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!